RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Core i3/i5 with AES-NI and ECC and low power?

CrispinP

hi folks,

long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I've had a Gen 7 N54L running freenas + many jails for a while now and just bought a gen8 to take over from it.

I've gone through all I can read about upgrading the CPU. The i3-3240 seems to be a good choice and they're pretty cheap on fleabay. However, as others have mentioned too, I really would like AES-NI.

Admitting that I have not read all 25 pages of the intro gen8 thread, is there something I have missed with AES on it? Having a look around the various i5 and i3 options, ECC and AES don't seem together as well as being not to power hungry.

Can I really only have 2/3 of the requirements? :)

Thanks

Crispin

The part you missed is that i5 doesn't support ECC. If that is a requirement for you, you'll have to get a Xeon.

This. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/65703/Intel-Core-i5-3470T-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

You'd be better off with something like this: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1220-V2-Quad-Core-3-10GHz-LGA1155-SR0PH-CPU-Processor-Ivy-Bridge-/311702043739?hash=item4892e3bc5b:g:r-kAAOSw4shX4C1~

Thanks for the replies guys(gals?)

ECC is a requirement for me as it's used as a ZFS NAS with 16GB RAM.

So, to clear up my confusion, in the posts where people say they're using the i3-3240 or the i5-3470T they are also using non-ECC RAM?

I already have 16GB of ECC ram and don't want the hassle of returning it. Will it working in a non-ecc way?

Otherwise I'll keep my eyes on ebay for a xeon when that pops up.

I have the i5-3470T in mine. I also have ECC ram. It works just fine. No one knows yet if the ECC is disabled, or if these i5/i3 CPUs really have ECC support. It just boots and that is enough for the most of us.

I have the i5-3470T in mine. I also have ECC ram. It works just fine. No one knows yet if the ECC is disabled, or if these i5/i3 CPUs really have ECC support. It just boots and that is enough for the most of us.

ah ok, so it works but not sure on of the ECC is keeping guard or not.

I was looking on HP's site last night and see they're selling the 3240 / G1610T and the xeon version and specifying the same memory modules for each version. Neither of them make any claim to ECC or non-ECC. Clear as mud :)

I might then wait it out for a xeon

Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, swapped to the i3-3245 and it seems happy. I've used the same heatsink and not changed any of the cooling settings.

The temps stay around the 35 mark on the CPU. Intake temp is 21 and exhaust is 44/45 according to iLo and a separate themp sensor I have.

Like others, I am using 16GB of ECC RAM but no idea if it's ECCing or not....

Thanks for the tips folks.

a shame not to have the use of the error correcting though. errors do happen, and I have even had one report of a non-correctable error on one of my g7 microservers. It is one less source of mysterious influences.