RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on which mesh system to get for a 4000sqft home?

itGeeks

@evanp847 sent me a PM asking for my advice so I am posting his question here so its better served, See below-

"hello 

i have been reading your comments about luma and wanted your option on which system to get for a 4000sqft home. i was currently using a Asus rt-ac5300 router and can barely get a 5ghz signal on the second floor. i do have hard cat6 hard lines in most rooms that connect to my 24port netgear smart web managed switch so based on your posts its better to use a wired backhaul which is great for my environment. the million dollar questions is which system orbi luma, erro or a more traditional mesh ap system. i do have the need of port forwarding and ddns control but i do want to be able to stream feed from my 3mp security cams as well. i have young kids so parental control is nice but not a necessity as much as some good router control and consistent fast and reliable wireless thought out the 3 floors of the house 

any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

thanks in advance 

Evan"

That is the million dollar question.  Sounds like eero or Luma would work fine here.  Since Evan has CAT6 runs to each room a mesh like this is a no brainer to me.  Eero does ports fine even though I use it in bridge mode with a Synology router for security and such.  I also use Circle but don't have it active right now.  I ask potential eero customers what do they want in a router?  If it's more than the above the eero router might not satisfy.  The wireless will though!

Dave when did you get the Synology router? I know you talked about wanting one, Did I miss the HSS podcast where you talk about getting one and how you like it? Also did you see the new Synology RT2600 AC?

The advise I almost want to give to Evan is if he is not in a hurry what a bit longer for the Netgear Orbi reviews, On paper this looks like a grate solution and seems to check most of Evan's boxes, The only thing lacking is Ethernet backhaul and the reason for this according to Netgear is like Eero Orbi has a dedicated 5GHz radio to communicate with the nodes. Even with the lack of Ethernet backhaul to me it looks like Orbi has the best feature set on launch, Allowing advanced user to setup the router the way they want including Changing the subnet, DDNS support, Allowing us to change the DNS we want to use and a wealth of other things. None of this can be done on Luma rite now and I am not sure about Eero. Another thing to note is Orbi has a SPI firewall unlike Luma and that is huge for helping protect your network, Orbi does not have this so called enterprise protection that Luma says they have and I have been unable to confirm because everything I throw at Luma is able to go undetected so the OP could just use Orbi and use the OpenDNS servers and probably get the same level of protection or better. Netgear claims the current kit there selling will cover upto 4000sqft so your covered there. If you decide you want to use either Eero or Luma then you will need the 3 pack to cover your 4000sqft

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-High-Performance-AC3000-Tri-Band-System/dp/B01K4CZOBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474909488&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+orbi+router

Orbi user manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

On closing like Dave said "This is the million dollar question" It really is a bit to early to tell which one of these will be the clear winner but there is one thing for sure unlike Eero and Luma Netgear and Ubiq are not startup company's and they have been designing network equipment a long time and have grate products so again time will tell and I am excited to see hew is the winner!

I agree with itGeeks. It would be worth checking out reviews and results for Orbi. You might even consider getting an Orbi kit from Amazon to test yourself since Amazon returns are pain free. I've had great success with eero, Luma continues to struggle, and I personally have not had a great experience with open mesh. AmpliFi may be another option to look into, though I have no personal experience with that product yet.

Yes, I got the Synology router and I love it. (will talk on RESET about it soon) I have my Cisco and Zywall for sale here in the forums.  If the op has the patience and can wait for Orbi reviews that would be grand.  I got the feeling that it was not a true mesh so I didn't have my hopes up for it.  There are also more and more rumors about Google doing something in this space.  Waiting for October 4th announcement might be smart.

Securifi also has something in the pipeline and it's coming soon.  Octoberish as I hear.  I personally think this product is intriguing:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11628-amped-wireless-ally-in-pre-sale/  If I didn't have 6 eero units I would look at it.

I agree with itGeeks. It would be worth checking out reviews and results for Orbi. You might even consider getting an Orbi kit from Amazon to test yourself since Amazon returns are pain free. I've had great success with eero, Luma continues to struggle, and I personally have not had a great experience with open mesh. AmpliFi may be another option to look into, though I have no personal experience with that product yet.

Great advice and good points. As for AmpliFi one concern I have is the performance because it does not have a dedicated radio for the 'mesh points" so performance will suffer and Ubiq agrees with that and there is no 'Ethernet backhaul' option. Other then that it looks interesting.

Yes, I got the Synology router and I love it. (will talk on RESET about it soon) I have my Cisco and Zywall for sale here in the forums.  If the op has the patience and can wait for Orbi reviews that would be grand.  I got the feeling that it was not a true mesh so I didn't have my hopes up for it.  There are also more and more rumors about Google doing something in this space.  Waiting for October 4th announcement might be smart.

Securifi also has something in the pipeline and it's coming soon.  Octoberish as I hear.  I personally think this product is intriguing:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11628-amped-wireless-ally-in-pre-sale/  If I didn't have 6 eero units I would look at it.

Thanks, Can't wait to hear about your experience with the Synology router. I have been intrigued by this but have not ordered one for testing, I just wish Synology had an antivirus package for it. I still love my Untangle router but I am always open for options. As for the Amped Wireless product you linked to, I had a look at it online and at first I found it interesting but quickly had concerns so I contacted there online chat to ask questions and sadly the extenders are repeaters and not mesh so no go for me. As for Google, I can't wait to see what they are up to please post links to what you find out on Oct 4.