RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't restore client on a M.2 drive

Lethbridge

So a couple of months ago I decided to build a new pc, and I installed an M.2 drive as my main drive. A few days ago I needed to restore this pc, and interestingly my WSE2012 could not locate my M.2 drive during the restore process. It has been backing up this drive without a problem, but it does not see it when I try to restore it.

Just wondering if anybody has encountered this issue, and if so were you able to solve it?

Thanks

Open the backup on another (working) system. 

Grab the "Drivers for Client Restore" (created on each disk in the backup).  Pop these onto a flash drive, and try booting with this flash drive attached. 

You may need to use the "scan for drivers" option, but that should work. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I already tried that solution and it still wasn't showing up.

I didn't think that a hard drive would require loading drivers though as it never had before, and I had never installed drivers for the M.2 drive.

However I did download the driver's from Samsung's website and added them to the USB key and that solved my problem.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted, Your one of the lucky ones. Some of us have had more failed restores then I care to remember and is one reason y I know longer use or trust the bare-metal backup/restore of Microsoft servers, I now use 'Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE' for this task and have never had a problem with bare-metal restores. The second best part about Veeam is the cost, Its free for life and also has email alerts to let you know how the backup job went, When you first install Veeam it will ask you if you want to create a restore disk that will include all the drivers and even the network settings for the computer so make sure you say yes to create the ISO and save that in another location with your backups. Check it out. https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. To be honest though, this is probably the first real problem I've had doing a bare metal restore. The vast majority of mine succeed without any issues at all.