RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DS916+ 8GB - finally a Synology NAS that can do Plex

HellDiverUK

HellDiverUK

Well, about a month ago I picked up a new DS916+ 8GB model to replace the various Windows and UnRAID boxes I've been messing with for years.

I've got a Samsung 750 Evo 500GB and 3x8TB WD EZZX drive in it.  The 750Evo is used for downloads, and all the Docker stuff is on there, as well as my Plex library.  The media is held on a btrfs SHR of the 3x8TB WD helium white-label drives (shucked from 8TB MyBooks).

I have to say, this is the first NAS from Synology that's been powerful enough to be a useful Plex box.  It's rare that Plex needs to transcode much now, thanks to my faster internet (80/20), and enhanced CODEC support in browsers and the mobile apps.  The N3710 in the 916+ is powerful enough to transcode a 1080p stream if required, no issues at all.

I bought the 8GB RAM version, but even running Plex, Sonarr, NZBGet, Couchpotato, and a few other apps in Docker, I'm only using 11% RAM.  I would have been fine with the standard 2GB version.

Finally, reads and writes are consistently gigabit line speed, even to the SHR of the 3x8TB drives.

• Like 1

thanks for this post... have been eyeing this unit.

Have you figured out the boxes max number of transcodes?

I often transfer movies from my plex server to my iPad (only time myna does conversions) as my AppleTVs will direct stream all but my HD audio. I wonder how many streams it could do.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @HellDiverUK,

I've just received my DS916+ today (upgraded from a 411+II) and it's an impressive piece of kit. One question I had though was how did you get Sonarr to install? I have it telling me that the mono package is missing, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated!

Thank you

Well, about a month ago I picked up a new DS916+ 8GB model to replace the various Windows and UnRAID boxes I've been messing with for years.

I've got a Samsung 750 Evo 500GB and 3x8TB WD EZZX drive in it.  The 750Evo is used for downloads, and all the Docker stuff is on there, as well as my Plex library.  The media is held on a btrfs SHR of the 3x8TB WD helium white-label drives (shucked from 8TB MyBooks).

I have to say, this is the first NAS from Synology that's been powerful enough to be a useful Plex box.  It's rare that Plex needs to transcode much now, thanks to my faster internet (80/20), and enhanced CODEC support in browsers and the mobile apps.  The N3710 in the 916+ is powerful enough to transcode a 1080p stream if required, no issues at all.

I bought the 8GB RAM version, but even running Plex, Sonarr, NZBGet, Couchpotato, and a few other apps in Docker, I'm only using 11% RAM.  I would have been fine with the standard 2GB version.

Finally, reads and writes are consistently gigabit line speed, even to the SHR of the 3x8TB drives.

HellDiverUK

I used Docker.  

Most of the community plugins are broken due to changes in the way users are handled by DSM6.  It's probable that Sonarr wouldn't work if you're installing via the Community apps.