RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Tidbit re: WHS backup

ikon

Not sure how many are aware of this, so here goes:

I ran MSconfig on my win7 puter to try to reduce memory usage, and hopefully speed things up a bit. I turned off a bunch of what I thought were services I don't need in my situation: e.g. bluetooth support, auto WWAN config, etc. Since I am using WHS to backup I also disabled Windows Backup and Volume Shadow Copy.

Everything was fine until I tried to backup to my WHS. It timed out with an error msg suggesting I run CHKDSK /f /r.

This seemed pretty bogus to me. Instead of running CHKDSK, I ran SERVICES.MSC and turned on Windows Backup. Tried to backup again. Same error. Went back to Services and turned Windows Backup off and Volume Shadow Copy on.

BINGO! The backup started immediately and completed successfully.

So, just a hint for any WHS users trying to streamline their win7 setup: leave Volume Shadow Copy at Automatic. :)

BTW, I also noticed Windows was only using 3GB of the 4GB in my machine. I went into MSconfig/Boot/Advanced Options and removed the checkmark from Maximum Memory. This fixed it on my machine. During my Bing searches to find this fix I noted that this does not always fix the issue; in particular, some mobos require a BIOS setting as well in order to fix it. Anyway, maybe food for thought for some perhaps.

If you're running 32-bit version of windows, it's not going to use more than ~3.2GB, even if it reports more than that. You need 64-bit to take advantage of it.

If you're running 32-bit version of windows, it's not going to use more than ~3.2GB, even if it reports more than that. You need 64-bit to take advantage of it.

Of course you're right AJ. My bad - I just don't even consider running win7 in anything but 64 bit mode anymore :)

Shadow Copy is wonderful....if you have the physical drive space available, take advantage of it.

Well, I do not run Shadow Copy on my WHS at all, but on my win7 box it apparently is required in order to back up to the WHS.

Well, I do not run Shadow Copy on my WHS at all, but on my win7 box it apparently is required in order to back up to the WHS.

The reason for that is that I believe WHS uses Shadow Copy as the mechanism to backup files that are "locked" because they're open.

The reason for that is that I believe WHS uses Shadow Copy as the mechanism to backup files that are "locked" because they're open.

That totally makes sense. Thx.

I'm cashing in here with a little tip..

If you want the reduce the amount of gunk running at boot time, you should use Sysinternals Autoruns for it. Far better than msconfig.

The ideal solution is to restart and look at what is running, and then stop each of those applications within the application itself. When it comes to the built-in windows services, you are very unlikely to notice a difference by disabling things.

I'm cashing in here with a little tip..

If you want the reduce the amount of gunk running at boot time, you should use Sysinternals Autoruns for it. Far better than msconfig.

hey, totally forgot about autoruns - just checked my most recent copy ---> 2007 :unsure: Downloaded the latest & ran it; just dropped memory usage by 6% - 10%..... not bad.