RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server keeps shutting down

First off I'm a total novice when it comes to the server (Ok with windows in general though), so please no abbreviations. This is just a server I'm using at home.

I've had the server running over a year now and it's been doing a cracking job.

About a week ago I decided to change the server backup routine from twice a day down to once a day - There is only a couple of machines being backed up so once will suffice.

Ran through the wizard and everything went fine. Then at different times the server just shuts down, no warning. Power it back up and it runs for a while then shuts down.

I've gone through the backup setup several time but there is nothing I can see that would cause this. I've disabled backup and re-set it up same thing happens. Looked in the server log and loads of error messages (show me a computer that hasn't).

Now I suspect it's a setting rather than a fault (what do I know). The reason for this is that about six months ago we had a power cut. Turned the server back on and remote in and there was a message that said something like "was that shutdown planned"? I'm not getting this it just boots up as if it was starting up from a planned shutdown.

I'm up to date with all my patches and updates. The only other software on the machine is my AV.

Can anyone help please?

Is this a headless server? It might be prudent to put a monitor/keyboard/mouse on it while you troubleshoot it. A few things to check:

1. Is the OS activated? Certain updates might de-activate your Windows license, forcing it to shutdown every 60 minutes or so. Not sure if it applies here but it's worth it to check it out

2. Check your BIOIS event logs if there's a thermal event that's causing the server to shutdown. Sometimes, a faulty or clogged cooling fan will cause overheating, triggering the system to shutdown to preserve itself

3. If it's caused by a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD), there's a free utility called WhoCrashed. It's a crash dump analyzer that helps explain in layman's terms what caused the BSOD

4. As an extension to item #2 above, check your server hardware - Check your UPS, power supply, or the motherboard's stability. Boot into BIOS and let it sit there. If it still shutdown by itself, it's a hardware issue that you'll need to further investigate. Older hardware will typically have capacitors drying/leaking out, causing instability.

Good luck in your hunt.

First off I'm a total novice when it comes to the server (Ok with windows in general though), so please no abbreviations. This is just a server I'm using at home.

I've had the server running over a year now and it's been doing a cracking job.

About a week ago I decided to change the server backup routine from twice a day down to once a day - There is only a couple of machines being backed up so once will suffice.

Ran through the wizard and everything went fine. Then at different times the server just shuts down, no warning. Power it back up and it runs for a while then shuts down.

I've gone through the backup setup several time but there is nothing I can see that would cause this. I've disabled backup and re-set it up same thing happens. Looked in the server log and loads of error messages (show me a computer that hasn't).

Now I suspect it's a setting rather than a fault (what do I know). The reason for this is that about six months ago we had a power cut. Turned the server back on and remote in and there was a message that said something like "was that shutdown planned"? I'm not getting this it just boots up as if it was starting up from a planned shutdown.

I'm up to date with all my patches and updates. The only other software on the machine is my AV.

Can anyone help please?

Obviously there are a number of possibilities.  After doing what OJ88 suggests, one thing to check is if the shut downs are timed with the backup, if not, it maybe hardware.  I had a similar problem with random shutdowns a while back and it was my power supply.  After you rule out the software issues, you may have to look at your hardware.  Unless it happens at the same interval, or the same time, it is most likely not software.

Hi Thanks for the replies.

Not sure if it helps the server is setup using the following instruction

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13/how-to-skip-domain-joining-during-client-deployment-in-a-windows-server-2012-essentials-network?forum=winserveressentials

I don't think its a domain controller (machines get their IP address from the router).

Its a bit difficult to tie down to actual times it shuts down as I'm not here 24/7, At the moment the server is running, but here is a new twist. I cannot remote into the server. Using Advanced IP manager the server cannot be detected (so even if I attached a screen I can only look at it locally as it appears to have lost internet connection (or at least local LAN connection - It's connected to my router via an ethernet cable).

I've tried a working Ethernet cable attached to another computer and rebooting the server locally but whilst its on its not showing up on the network.

I've managed to get some of the error messages from the server )far too many to get all of them. I'm wondering if I reinstall Server 2012 R2 and start over again this may be a solution, or should I try a different server OS that's easier to use?

Microsoft-Windows-DNS Client Events System

13/09/2016 17:03:30 - Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

HOMESERVER2012 27 Warning e1qexpress System 13/09/2016 17:03:23 - HP NC112T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
 Network link is disconnected. HOMESERVER2012 5774 Error NETLOGON System 13/09/2016 09:26:57 -
The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.a0cfa796-b777-4581-bdbb-2939a8a8bdfc.domains._msdcs.HOME.local. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 HomeServer2012.HOME.local.' failed on the following DNS server: 
DNS server IP address: fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:e0e9:2768:c84a:447c
Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0
Returned Status Code: 10054 
For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS. 
USER ACTION 
Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain  controller, run 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service.
  Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended. 
ADDITIONAL DATA
Error Value: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I read a similar post that suggested running dcdiag. The results was "HOME.local failed test dns"

None of which mean anything to me.

Thanks again for help and patience

Thanks - I did connect another machine to the ethernet cable that goes into the router and it connected fine.

So how do I test for those issues - There is no fan noise, there is 5 inches clear space around the router and no visible dust build up, so would that rule out heat?

The DNS errors may have been generated because the the server is disconnected from the LAN.

The failing NIC (especially if it's the embedded/on-board kind) seems to point to a brewing hardware issue. That could explain the intermittent shutdowns.

Still considering another angle, it may also be caused by a Windows Update patch gone haywire. It's not uncommon for a server to start misbehaving immediately after "Patch Tuesday", for example.

The first thing I would do would be to reboot, wait for another shutdown, then go back into the Event Logs and try and correlate what happened.  Does the server have any internet access at all?  If not, disable the NIC in Device Manager and see how long the servers stays up.  Do you have an extra NIC card you can install?  What OS is this?

Any bad patch would be all over the forums by now, so that can probably be ruled out.  Not impossible, but I wouldn't look there first.