RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Super Router Thread

Trig0r

So, off of the back of that thread...

Am I right in thinking that people are using routers from their ISP in modem mode, plugging it into a machine and then using that for firewall/router/internet control?

Could you, in theory then go from the router, to a NIC in your server then out of another NIC into the network?

I'm in need of something that'll do DHCP and internet profiling, ie turn off the offsprings WiFi at certain times, limit bandwidth etc...

Think this could be a good use of my old Gen7...

itGeeks

The setup would depend on the type of equipment your ISP supplied, If its a modem only then follow what schoondoggy said. If its a modem/router combo the setup would depend on the ISP and the type of services you have. FiOs and ATT U-Verse are examples that you need to keep there modem/router in-place in router mode if you have Phone and or IPTV service with them.

1. Hew is your ISP and what type of services do you have with them?

2. Do you have a modem or a modem/router combo from the ISP?

3. What is the speed of your internet both down/up?

4. When you say you have an old Gen7 laying around do you mean a Core i7? a Core i7 is way overkill unless you have very fast internet such as GB Fiber.

5. How many devices do you have on your network? I had around 45 devices and FiOs 150/150 internet and I was able to run both the new Sophos XG and Untangle on a low powered Atom D525, That said Get yourself a Celeron J1900 or a N3700 with 8GB of memory would serve you well

6. I use the paid version of Untangle, Its a steal at 50.00 a year for "home use", They even have a live demo if you wan't to have a look http://demo.untangle.com/auth/login?url=/webui&realm=Administrator

Trig0r

ISP is Virgin Media.

They supply a router which you have to keep but you can run it in "Modem" mode which I have done before, then connected my own router to it..

200 down 10 up.

Gen 7 as in HP Microserver Gen7..

Trig0r

At the mo the Gen7 has the following.

N40L

16Gb

2Tb Seagate

2Tb WD Red

1Tb WD Green

500Gb WD Blue

I'd already looked at that thread you linked as I have a dead Gen7 as well that a friend gave me and was looking to use it just for the bays, got the external cable but not the adapter, mmmm, more things to think about...