RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BJWTech

Booting CentOS 7 1511 minimal/net install iso CD/USB

BJWTech

Hello all,

I recently wanted to upgrade my HP n36l from the Ubuntu 12.04 that was installed a few years ago. I now run mostly all my gear on CentOS 7 software, so I tried to install CentOS 7 1511 minimal. To my surprise both a CD and USB install ISO failed to boot with a kernel panic.

Seems to be related to setting the system timer. I found a relevant bug and got a clue to help me get it installed.

I had to edit the grub entry on the livecd to append the following line (use the TAB key to edit the grub boot command);

initcall_blacklist=clocksource_done_booting

Once added, the install went as normal. I rebooted after install and was met with the same bug and had to edit the grub command once again using the "e" key this time to edit. It seems a newer kernel is needed to move past the bug.

I then set off to update the system with;

yum -y update

After updating and subsequent reboot the grub edit was no longer necessary and the new kernel booted up without issue. Save for a missing amd bin file. I will post a fix for that too.

Brian

edited for tags....

Edited by BJWTech
  • Like 1

dalem

That was a good save.  I have had trouble with nic's before in the past.  Inconvenient to update when you can't get online to update. 
How do you like CentOS compared to Ubuntu?  I have been wanting to run CentOS in a VM on my computer to try it out.  I have been using Debian for 14 years.  I started on Slackware, moved to FreeBSD to OpenBSD then finally to Debian.  I tried Ubuntu Server a couple years ago.  It was nice but I like the minimalist/install only what you need feel of Debian.

• Like 1

BJWTech

That was a good save.  I have had trouble with nic's before in the past.  Inconvenient to update when you can't get online to update. 

How do you like CentOS compared to Ubuntu?  I have been wanting to run CentOS in a VM on my computer to try it out.  I have been using Debian for 14 years.  I started on Slackware, moved to FreeBSD to OpenBSD then finally to Debian.  I tried Ubuntu Server a couple years ago.  It was nice but I like the minimalist/install only what you need feel of Debian.

It had me stuck for a while actually. On my n40l, which was having the same issue I ended up installing Ubuntu 16.04 until I could spend some time to figure it out. It was my media server and It had to be up or my family would kill me!! Heh...

I have been using Centos since 6.4 I think.... I love it for the bare basic approach it takes for a minimal install. It is as bare as you can be I think. I switched full bore when Ubuntu moved to upstart with 14.04. Too many incompatibilities with various software I was using. I much prefer systemd to upstart. Canonical must have agreed with me as they switched too! :)~ That being said, as a MSP, I have clients who run everything from Ubuntu, Centos, Slackware.... And of course MS Windows/Server.

Brian

• Like 1

DRY411S

After running ESXi5.0 for several years, including CentOS and WHS2011 as ESXi guests, I'm trying to install the same native Centos release as you, and then create a virtual WHS2011 KVM, but I haven't been successful so far, failing at the CentOS install. I was hoping that you may be able to help.

I seem to have a problem with the AHCI driver, which causes the install to hang unless I exclude it, and I also get an i8042 no controller found error. To overcome both these on the linux install command line, I'm using 

linux nomodeset initcall_blacklist=clocksource_done_booting modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd

I have found these parameters by using google, I'm by no means an expert on Linux!

The install gets to a point where it is asking me where it can find driver updates, and offering me a choice of /dev/sdaX (the existing partitions on the hard disk where I want to install), and /dev/sdb1 (the boot USB).

If I choose just to continue, rather than choose a partition that contains drivers, eventually I get dozens of dracut timeout messages. and finally the Dracut Emergency shell starts with warnings that the system won't boot and /dev/root cannot be found.

Please can anybody help with explaining how to get the correct drivers. I'm imaging it is something like this link http://josafatisai.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/installing-centos-7-on-hp-proliant.html but that page is about the next generation of Microserver, and I'm uncertain which drivers I should get.

I've attached the completerdsosreport.txt  rdsosreport.txt

DRY411S

NVM, turns out the USB I had created was corrupt. Not corrupt enough to fail to run though!

BJWTech

NVM, turns out the USB I had created was corrupt. Not corrupt enough to fail to run though!

Sorry I did not see this... Yes, that is how a corrupted USB will boot sometimes. Usually when writes were not synced before ejecting said USB drive.... I always use;

dd if=SOURCE of=DESTINATION bs=4M && sync

Brian - HTH!