RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dalem

Untangle or pfSense requirements

dalem

I just use an old desktop that was running W7 but updated to W10 all by itself and BI never missed a beat.  Specs show as i3-4130 @ 3.4GHz 2 core with 8GB Ram. With 4 Cameras it runs at 45-50% CPU (35-40% being BI) and 45% memory usage.  It has a WD 1TB had disk which shows 45% free space and is holding all recorded files from the 4 cameras for the last 2 years. I used to record to my server but was running out of space so shifted the recordings to the BI box as I recall.  I have 4 Hikvision Cameras.  2 external connected by ethernet ( poE) and 2 internal connected to power outlets and wireless.   Only thing is to make sure the you set the BI to use Direct-to disc recording or CPU usage will be way higher. I also have 4 second pre-trigger buffer which also uses a lot of CPU but you get to see the 4 seconds of what happened before the alert is triggered.  Very handy sometimes.

Ok that makes my decision on my cpu choice.  I was looking at a i5 haswell or skylake.  If an i3 can handle that then the i5 will have some room for advancement.

What resolution are you running on the cameras?

Poppapete

Ok that makes my decision on my cpu choice.  I was looking at a i5 haswell or skylake.  If an i3 can handle that then the i5 will have some room for advancement.

What resolution are you running on the cameras?

The Cameras are 3MP (Plenty of 4MP around now for the same price). Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I outside and DS-2CD2412F-IW inside. You can get 4mm,6mm and even 8mm lens. Have Framerate set @ 30fps

People just appear out of no where.  It isn't very often but still annoying.

That's when the pre-trigger buffer comes in handy as I mentioned.  You get to see the seconds before the trigger.

Jason

My dilemma now is how to run Ethernet to designated camera locations inside and outside of house so they can be powered over POE. I don't have outlets near where I want cameras and plugs look tacky. I've never been very good at pulling cable. Wish I had a family member who was an electrician.

itGeeks

I love Blue Iris and have tried Milestone & ISpy. Why bother having security cameras if you only keep 5 days. All you need is an old i3 box with Blue Iris and run it as a stand alone security system accessed via a remote desktop connection.  I have 4 x 3MP Hikvisions (external and internal types) which coast $100 from China via AliExpress.  Sorry way off topic I realise.

I used to think the same way but honestly 5 days of recording is plenty for a home, If something happens most people would no about it right away and all you have to do is lock the footage so it won't delete. As for Blue Iris back when I tried it I had all sorts of problems with it and just did not like the interface and setup was a pain, I could not even get motion detection to work right. With Milestone everything just worked including motion detection without me even having to dial it in, I am amazed at that not even Synology worked this well after several days of playing with motion settings. I know mileage will vary for everyone but after all the trouble I had with different products I am Milestone now all the way. I think its a great bargain considering how great Milestone is and its all free for 8 camera's and 5 days of recording. If the OP needs or wants more recording time or the ability to add more camera's then he can step up the the essentials and not loose any of his settings upgrading from Go, Yes I know it cost money but honestly the camera licenses are the same cost as a Synology licenses the only difference is you have to pay a one time fee for the server licenses I think it was like 99.00 last time I check. Options are always good.

Also on the front of going down the route you have and I have tried as well in the past the OP needs to understand the risks involved and what he is left with purchasing Hikvision cameras online from the likes of AliExpress, Amazon 3rd party's and Ebay, These cameras have China firmware that has been hacked by the sellers to display in English, This does not change the fact that these cameras have a Reagan code of China and any attempd to update the Firmware with US firmware will BRICK the shiny new camera. What does this mean? The OP needs to be willing to settle with the firmware the camera comes with and never want's to upgrade it, If the camera comes with firmware bugs, Your stuck. If Hikvision releases new firmware that adds new features as they have in the past your stuck. If the camera shows up DOA as one of mine did, Your stuck just throw it away as the cost of shipping will far outweigh the cost of the camera. Sorry for the rant and I understand these risks work for sum and your willing to settle and take these risks, I just want the OP to understand all this before he decides to go down this road. I also wan't to point out it maybe very hard now to find sellers on AliExspess now, Last time I was following all this stuff last year Hikvision shut a lot of those sellers down because selling the Hikvision 'brand' of cameras to the public is in violation of Hikvision policy. There are plenty of places to purchase a re branded Hikvision camera such as Swann/Lorex, LTS Platinum, and Nelly Security sells there NSC cameras that are re branded Hikvision cameras and come with support and firmware updates. http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp.html

Poppapete

I used to think the same way but honestly 5 days of recording is plenty for a home, 

Last year we went to a downstairs storeroom to find a bike missing.  Went through the files and saw it being stolen 3 weeks earlier at 3 am. Living in Australia we don't have Nelly and the such and Swann/Lorex is way over priced.  Much better to get cameras from China than the same camera that has gone from China to USA to Australia with all middlemen taking a share plus shipping costs twice over the pacific.  I have been buying goods from Aliexpress for 4 years not been duded yet.  When an item does not turn up (twice now) I asked for money back on one and got it and asked for a resend on the other and got it.  There are many articles and videos on updating Hikvision Firmware. The mistake is to try and update English firmware with Chinese or visa versa (although there are ways around this also).  Some of my cameras come with Chinese and some with English you just need to download the correct one. There is a European website that for some reason is far better than the USA website for firmware. If I get a Camera with Chinese firmware I just ask chrome to translate and it does a wonderful job in the browser. We will be killed in this thread for OFF TOPIC.  Love "arguing - disagreeing" with you!!!!

Trig0r

We use the HIKVision stuff at work, its cheap but the quality of the image is damned good, they certainly beat the Honeywell kit on price even with the newer plastic ones (prefer the older metal shelled ones personally) and we get a pretty good price on the Honeywell stuff...

We use the HIKVision stuff at work, its cheap but the quality of the image is damned good, they certainly beat the Honeywell kit on price even with the newer plastic ones (prefer the older metal shelled ones personally) and we get a pretty good price on the Honeywell stuff...

itGeeks

Last year we went to a downstairs storeroom to find a bike missing.  Went through the files and saw it being stolen 3 weeks earlier at 3 am. Living in Australia we don't have Nelly and the such and Swann/Lorex is way over priced.  Much better to get cameras from China than the same camera that has gone from China to USA to Australia with all middlemen taking a share plus shipping costs twice over the pacific.  I have been buying goods from Aliexpress for 4 years not been duded yet.  When an item does not turn up (twice now) I asked for money back on one and got it and asked for a resend on the other and got it.  There are many articles and videos on updating Hikvision Firmware. The mistake is to try and update English firmware with Chinese or visa versa (although there are ways around this also).  Some of my cameras come with Chinese and some with English you just need to download the correct one. There is a European website that for some reason is far better than the USA website for firmware. If I get a Camera with Chinese firmware I just ask chrome to translate and it does a wonderful job in the browser. We will be killed in this thread for OFF TOPIC.  Love "arguing - disagreeing" with you!!!!

Sorry to here about your loss but at least you had the video. Like I said mileage will vary and people will have different needs but I still feel most homes will be fine with 5 days of recording and 8 cameras and if not then pay the 99.00 for the Essentials server and 49.00 for each camera and in my humble opinion you have a superior solutions that can be run on lower end hardware. The money savings on hardware can be used on licenses. Its great to have options, What works for me may not work for you that's all I am saying. Both products have strength and weaknesses up to us to decided what to use. Here is a great review of Milestone XProtect http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1902

Also I am well aware of all the hacks that can be done at the risk of bricking the camera, The folks over at ipcamtalk do a great job of trying to reverses engineer the firmware so the ones "trying" to save money don't have boat anchors from the day the new camera arrives. I also don't endorse reverse engineering. Love Hikvision cameras and all the options they have but there are legal ways to purchase them so you get support and firmware updates, Simply put if you purchase a Hikvision labeled camera off the internet it will in most cases have a China Reagan code and to me the risk and trouble trying to update them is simply not worth it.

dalem

My dilemma now is how to run Ethernet to designated camera locations inside and outside of house so they can be powered over POE. I don't have outlets near where I want cameras and plugs look tacky. I've never been very good at pulling cable. Wish I had a family member who was an electrician.

If you want to do it yourself.  Get a installers drill bit at Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, etc.  A 3/8's 18" one should do.  If you are going through wood.  If you are going through masonry.  You will need masonry bit and a strong drill.  Brick isn't has bad as it sounds.  If you have a drill that has a hammer function like a Milwaukee M18.  Depending on the type of brick.  You can be through it in 5 or 10 minutes.  I installed DirecTV for a short period of time.  The drills we used was the one I mentioned above.  I was the last group that was allowed to keep some of the tools if you worked at least 6 months.  I am glad I was able to keep it.  It is very nice.

You just have to be careful where you drill.  You don't want to catch a 110 a/v line in the wall.  That might hurt a little.  It is not has hard as it sounds.  Electric outlets are mounted to studs.  The studs are usually 16" apart.  In order to see how the a/c wires are routed.  Just just take the wall plate off and look.   Once you have the hole drilled.  You can place a RJ45 wall plate on the wall.  They will have a 110 punch down connector on the back.  On the outside you can put some silicone caulk to seal the hole.  If you want to get fancy.  You can get some conduit and feed the cable through it.  If you have an open basement.  You could drill into the floor.  Find a corner that near where you want the camera outside.  Then go in the basement and drill through there.  There is usually a footer on the block foundation that you can drill through.  That way you know you are not going to drill through anything.  Make sure there isn't anything on the outside of the wall.

If that sounds like to much work.  I wouldn't blame you if you did.  I would ask a CCTV installer or network installer.  Which ever of them is the least expensive.  

itGeeks

Could you post a link to the Milwaukee M18 you used? When I search M18 I get tons of choices.

Thanks

Poppapete

Also I am well aware of all the hacks that can be done at the risk of bricking the camera, The folks over at ipcamtalk do a great job of trying to reverses engineer the firmware so the ones "trying" to save money don't have boat anchors from the day the new camera arrives. I also don't endorse reverse engineering. Love Hikvision cameras and all the options they have but there are legal ways to purchase them so you get support and firmware updates, Simply put if you purchase a Hikvision labeled camera off the internet it will in most cases have a China Reagan code and to me the risk and trouble trying to update them is simply not worth it.

All the firmware I get is from hikvision.  I don't need any reverse engineered software. What is illegal about purchasing a camera from China?