RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JustSomeGuy

Server Won't Boot

JustSomeGuy

Hi there. Recently my home server (WHS 2011) has not been booting.  My hardware specs can be found below.  I have my OS on a single hard drive, and I store my data on a RAID array that is controlled by a dedicated controller card.  When powered on, it shows the BIOS boot screen briefly before it switches to the RAID card bootup screen.  This screen indicates detection of the RAID array and that it is optimally running.  The BIOS boot screen then shows up followed by the windows loading screen.  During the windows loading screen, the system bluescreens. 

I can successfully make it into the system restore menu, as well as the advance boot options menu.  I tried booting in safe mode and it crashed.  I also did a RAM check (one of the options in the system restore menu) and it didn't bluescreen, but I'm not sure that it completed successfully (made it at least 95% of the way through with no errors).  I tried almost all combinations of removing/replacing the two ram sticks (running with only one, with only the other, with them both but in the other slots, etc...) but still encountered the problem. I pulled out my OS harddrive and attached it to my personal PC via a USB dock.  I ran "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" on the drive and it passed both the quick and the full scans.

I have my WHS 2011 OS DVD disc, so I could do a full system restore, but would prefer to restore the OS and retain how it was set up.  I don't know if I have system restore points setup on the OS drive (in hindsight I should have...but I don't know that I did).  Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated, thanks!

Hardware

Mobo: Asus M5A57

CPU: AMD 4core (Phenom II X4 955, I think...I forget exactly what it is)

RAM: 2x2GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1600

GPU: MSI NX7900GS

HDD (OS): WD Caviar 640 Gb, WD6400AAKS

HDD (Storage, RAID 4, controlled by dedicated RAID card): 3x WD Red 3.0 Tb

Raid Controller Card: Adaptec ASR-5405

PSU: XFX 850W, XPS-860W-BES

Optical Drive: ASUS bluray

ShadowPeo

Will it boot from another source (disk, usb etc?)

If it will perhaps try from a command prompt (shift + F10 when in a windows installer)

navigate to the disk so C: or whatever it is

bootrec /fixboot

Not knowing what server core this is built on the above may or may not work

The following may also be useful

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Also SFC may be available which might help

sfc /scannow

JustSomeGuy

Will it boot from another source (disk, usb etc?)

If it will perhaps try from a command prompt (shift + F10 when in a windows installer)

navigate to the disk so C: or whatever it is

bootrec /fixboot

Not knowing what server core this is built on the above may or may not work

The following may also be useful

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Also SFC may be available which might help

sfc /scannow

I think I could get it to boot from another source, but (pardon the ignorance) how would I do this?  I don't have an OS on any of the other material.

ShadowPeo

Download an ISO of a copy of windows, where the base is greater than your server install. Either make a DVD or a bootable USB, we just need access to the command prompt from the USB to do the commands above, and also to ensure it's not an issue that prevents it from booting altogether. The DVD would be best if you have a drive as not all older boards can boot from USB

ShadowPeo

I am about to leave for an overseas trip, as such I cannot guarantee that I will be able to provide any further help until I get back on the 10th of October. I should have internet connection, but you never know

JustSomeGuy

I am about to leave for an overseas trip, as such I cannot guarantee that I will be able to provide any further help until I get back on the 10th of October. I should have internet connection, but you never know

Thanks for the info.  I've been busy and haven't had a chance to sit down and troubleshoot, so no worries.