RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing B120i with P212

Milly

Hi

I'm running Centos 7.2 on my microserver and have just installed an HP P212 controller. I have a RAID 1 drive that was installed on the B120i that I have plugged into the P212. I disabled the B120i and everything seems in order, except I cannot boot into linux unless I go through the rescue image. How do I update GRUB to allow it to see the P212 driver and boot normally?

Milly

Thanks for the reply,

I have disabled the B120i and set the P212 to boot in the settings. If I run the Intelligent Provisioning I can see the RAID1 drive and, if I boot the Centos rescue image the system seems to work fine, I have full access to the array. Just wondering what change I need to make in GRUB(?) to stop the kernel using the B120i driver and use the P212 instead.

Ok, I've got this sorted now. Here is what I've found out in case somebody else runs into the same issue. I'm clearly a linux newbie so it will be obvious to most but I'm sure there are others like me out there!

The P212 drivers are included in the hpsa module. This comes with Centos 7.2 so no further download is required. If you do want to find the drivers then they are also included in the Proliant Service Pack on the HP site (but its a 5+Gb download!).

With Centos, GRUB uses an initial RAM disk to provide the required device drivers to bring up the root filesystem. This includes RAID drivers, so if you replace your RAID controller card you will need to update your initial RAM disk located in /boot and called initramfs-<kernel version>.img

When you install Centos, the installer creates your initramfs when it installs the kernel. So the easiest way to update the initramfs image is to reinstall the kernel.

yum reinstall kernel.<version>

If you don't have the latest version of the kernel then a yum update kernel will also work.

• Like 1