RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex, the DVR for cord cutters!‏

itGeeks

Finally. Though too little too late. Migrated from Windows Media Center with InfiniTV tuner to TiVo Roamio Pro 6 tuner with TiVo Mini media extenders and Plex integration. May have considered this if HDHomerun had been viable before TiVo.

• Like 1

I am a PlexPass holder and used it for quite a while. I stopped using it as for the life of me I could not figure out why certain devices would require transconding sometimes and not at other times. Even though all devices were able to decode everything natively.

In the end I just ended up serving my files over NFS and then using KODI to play them over NFS. Works perfectly with under 1% CPU load on my file server.... And I can install KODI on almost anything. So I get the same experience across multiple devices.

Brian

I am a PlexPass holder and used it for quite a while. I stopped using it as for the life of me I could not figure out why certain devices would require transconding sometimes and not at other times. Even though all devices were able to decode everything natively.

In the end I just ended up serving my files over NFS and then using KODI to play them over NFS. Works perfectly with under 1% CPU load on my file server.... And I can install KODI on almost anything. So I get the same experience across multiple devices.

Brian

I somewhat went the other way. Installed Plex Media Server on a mid-spec PC and really didn't care if media gets streamed, direct-played or transcoded across all our devices. More important to me is the centralized approach, user profiles, bookmarking feature (for lack of a better term) and the ability to Sync content. Plex is simply the king at the ability to play anything to anything.

I was a long-time XBMC user (before they named it Kodi) but with its de-centralized architecture, it leaves a lot to be desired, I don't know how much has changed since then.

I had a PC that could handle the transcoding, but the electrical power being used bothered me as well.

I use MySQL to get the bookmarking and centralized aspect of Plex on Kodi.

Brian

I somewhat went the other way. Installed Plex Media Server on a mid-spec PC and really didn't care if media gets streamed, direct-played or transcoded across all our devices. More important to me is the centralized approach, user profiles, bookmarking feature (for lack of a better term) and the ability to Sync content. Plex is simply the king at the ability to play anything to anything.

I was a long-time XBMC user (before they named it Kodi) but with its de-centralized architecture, it leaves a lot to be desired, I don't know how much has changed since then.

Agreed, Plex and Kodi are very different animals, Plex does all the heavy lifting on the server and Kodi does all the heavy lifting on the client. There is of cours other diffrences as well but this is the big one. Have a look at this, Its a multi part Youtube exspalining the diffrencess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YXoK8pSvo If you don't want to watch the play list then click this link to see the main diffrences of Kodi vs Plex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1a2gcECx0

Plex does not transcode at the server if the device doing the viewing can watch the stream in its native format, and if it is configured for Direct Play. For example, Roku, PS3, etc. may need transcoding of the data before streaming. Or, it may need to Direct Stream (not Direct Play) if the device playing back is only incompatible with the container. On my network with 3 Shields and 3 Nexus Players, I never have anything transcoded on my local network. Now, when I'm on the road and using my Android tablet, iPhone, or if I'm on a network too slow for Direct Play while using any device including a Nexus Player, then it does transcode. 

In my opinion, the largest difference between Plex (and Emby) compared to Kodi is this - Plex (and Emby) are a server/client based system that are engineered to support many clients at the same time, while tracking each users' history.  Kodi is engineered to be a stand-alone solution for one watching device, and natively does not track anything beyond the single user on that device. 

The second big difference is (as you mentioned) Plex (and Emby) can transcode on the server end - much like Netflix. This gives low-power devices or devices on low bandwidth devices the opportunity to stream media that would otherwise be incompatible or incapable. Kodi does not have these capabilities at all.

I'll watch those videos in 30 minutes or so and see if anything catches my eye/ear.

Plex server does not have to be run on a separate box. You can have PMS and Plex Client on the same box. In fact, I know it's come true since this video was released so I wouldn't expect it to me mentioned, but you can have PMS and Plex client on the same NVidia Shield now and not need any PC at all. :)

The part about "you can access your Kodi library on an old phone with no transcoding on the server".  Yeah, try that. Try streaming a 20g BD rip to an old iPhone over wifi and see how well that works. It won't. That's the beauty of Plex, if it needs transcoding, the PMS will take care of it. If not, it gets out of the way and does not touch the media at all.