RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Pool Drive showing as Not Added

fbwr75215

I added a new drive yesterday to my WHS. Now one of the drives that has been in the server working fine is showing as not added. If I remote in to the server it shows as drive E with two folders. One appears to have backups in it and the other is DE with all my shares. I can access all my data on the clients. I am not able to remove the drive because it says I do not have enough space. I believe that I do but it will not let me. I could remove it but I am afraid I will lose some of my data.

Does anyone know what is going on? I am not against a server recovery but would prefer to not to have to do that.

Maybe you already said this, but if you remove the drive you just added, does the drive that fell out go back to normal? Did you add a controller with the new drive?

When you added the drive to the server did you add it as a Backup drive for the server or did you add it to extend the size of the pool (make a difference)

As far as not seeing the other drive, do you have a Home Build or a HP/Asus WHS??

Oh yea Sata drive I would think correct?? Did you change the sata connections or add a card?

Maybe you already said this, but if you remove the drive you just added, does the drive that fell out go back to normal? Did you add a controller with the new drive?

I did try this but it did not go back. I did not add a controller. I added this to my last SATA port on MB.

When you added the drive to the server did you add it as a Backup drive for the server or did you add it to extend the size of the pool (make a difference)

As far as not seeing the other drive, do you have a Home Build or a HP/Asus WHS??

Oh yea Sata drive I would think correct?? Did you change the sata connections or add a card?

I added it as a pool drive to expand the available space. My box is s Home Build. I did not add a controller. I added this to my last SATA port on MB.

what chipset or chipsets does the mother board have? is there a grouping of 4 sata ports then 2 ports together on another part of the board?

A couple of questions/suggestions. First which port are you using. That board has 4 form the nVidia controler and 4 from a silcon image controller. You might be running into some issues with the SI controller so try switching the drives around from one to the other (red/black). Second, go into your BIOS and make sure RAID is disabled. Lastly, try reomoving both drives, and re-adding them to the pool to see if that works.

OK just as I thought it has 4 Nforce sata ports and 4 Silicon Image ports (4 black and 4 red correct?) Are you using the Nforce ports or the SI ports?

If you have Havent added any data what happens when you yank the new drive? (i should say remove it from the pool in the console 1st)

Does the older drive show up again??

What size is the new drive and is it a ears drive by WD? Sorry for all the questions.

OK just as I thought it has 4 Nforce sata ports and 4 Silicon Image ports (4 black and 4 red correct?) Are you using the Nforce ports or the SI ports?

If you have Havent added any data what happens when you yank the new drive? (i should say remove it from the pool in the console 1st)

Does the older drive show up again??

What size is the new drive and is it a ears drive by WD? Sorry for all the questions.

I am using the 4 black connectors(NV Chipset). I will try and remove the new drive today when I get home from work. The new drive is a 1 TB drive and yes it is a ears drive by WD. I have pins 7 and 8 jumpered. No problem with all the questions I did not expect a solution right away.