RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Size of the System Drive - Does it matter anymore?

Devin Webb

Originally, the WHS documetation said to use the largest drive possible as your system drive. I believe they said to do this because of the "landing zone" and tombstone issue.

Is that still the case after PP2 an PP3 fixed the "landing zone" issue?
Will I be effected if I use a 80g system drive with three 1.5tb storage drives???

BTW...I want to rebuild my WHS with a 10,000rpm Raptor as the System Drive...then add three 1.5tb drives AND a 2tb drive to the storage pool.

Guest no-control

Did they make 80gb Raptors? I thought it wnet 74->150->300

Either way no it doesn't matter any more as long as you meet the minimum required space. I have a 80gb .vhd on my VM install.

If you're planning on backing up your Mac's (osx) using Time machine it matters. WHS sets up "TimeMachine" backups in the System Drive!

I had a heck of time setting it up originally. And, I had to reinstall the WHS and have a "vigin" drive (not fragmented) to allow enough space for TimeMachine on the system drive.

I don't think things have changed with 3.0, and since I have a new iMac with much larger drive now, I think I have to redo things all over again ;-(

Yes, It is a 74gb raptor.

I plan to do a RAID 1 off the board with the 74gb Raptor and a normal 80gb drive.
Then I plan to add three 1.5tb drives and a 2tb drive.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

I don't run any MAC stuff.
I don't believe in monopolies and Mac's OSs are real buggy on anything but their own equipment.

Guest no-control

You'll neuter the performance of the raptor with that regular drive in the mix. Not to mention RAID doesn't play well with mixed drives general rule is same brand, size, spedd, cache, if possible model/spec/revision. You're better off just using one or the other then image it before adding the storage pools.

Don't forget the original "baby" raptor: I had the 36gb version. Nowadays it's just not worth it, IMHO. The price/GB is horrible. If I wanted more speed, I'd get an SSD.