RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Port forwarding

EricP

Just curious if port forwarding works such that I can take incoming port 80 and redirect it to port 81 on a system. I was trying over the weekend and it didn't work. I did not try any other port forwarding because some of the reading I did suggested port forwarding isn't working yet. But now it seems that thought may be wrong and it is working?

I'm running a 3 luma setup, {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

The response from luma support when I asked was : "why would you even want to do that? " suffice is to say that really annoyed me.

Thanks,

-Eric

Re

Just curious if port forwarding works such that I can take incoming port 80 and redirect it to port 81 on a system. I was trying over the weekend and it didn't work. I did not try any other port forwarding because some of the reading I did suggested port forwarding isn't working yet. But now it seems that thought may be wrong and it is working?

I'm running a 3 luma setup, {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

The response from luma support when I asked was : "why would you even want to do that? " suffice is to say that really annoyed me.

Thanks,

-Eric

Response is "Why did I buy your delayed, feature incomplete product"?

Re

Response is "Why did I buy your delayed, feature incomplete product"?

LOL so true. I do like the surround wifi and it seems better than what I previously had, but lack of features means I keep my Linksys router and we'll see if they actually make it a usable product.

LOL so true. I do like the surround wifi and it seems better than what I previously had, but lack of features means I keep my Linksys router and we'll see if they actually make it a usable product.

All the press and goodwill was theirs just to crash and burn. Hopefully they still deliver what they promised to their early backers. Mine arrived the day after

I installed Eero. Hope it gets better for you. 

Thanks,

-Eric

Hi Eric, I first want to say welcome to the forums!

I took the liberty of testing port forwarding for you the way you describe external port 80 to internal port 81 and I am happy to report it works fine. What is the problems you are having? I also want to say I am not so sure Luma is crazy for asking you y you want to do this, Normally people want to block the fist 1024 know ports from the WAN interface and redirect to there internal servers so for example do the reverse of what you want to do by saying port 81 on the public side forwards to port 80 on the internal server, What is it that your trying to do? 

Its a usable product rite now, I need to no more about what your trying to do.

All the press and goodwill was theirs just to crash and burn. Hopefully they still deliver what they promised to their early backers. Mine arrived the day after

I installed Eero. Hope it gets better for you. 

It is getting better even though it maybe to late for most. That said I still would not trust any of these new bread of devices on the edge of my network. At best I would only use these new bread of devices in 'bridge mode' to provide WiFi as there is very little protection for my comfort

Edited by itGeeks

EricP,

I am sorry I stand corrected, You are right there seems to be a problem with port forwarding. What is happening is when you enable port forwarding it is making the port "Stealth" from closed and not showing the port as open, This is very strange indeed so I have filled a support case. "Stealth" is what I would prefer to see when no forwarding is used but at this time they only show closed. Sorry for the miss leading information yesterday, I should of tested further. O and this is happening even if you don't change the public facing port from the internal port such as External--> 81 to Internal-->81

Edited by itGeeks

O brother, I really need to slow down. Please x what I said above port forwarding is working just fine, I forgot to poke a hole in the Windows 10 firewall to allow the port threw once I did that everything works just fine. Maybe that is your trouble as well?

O brother, I really need to slow down. Please x what I said above port forwarding is working just fine, I forgot to poke a hole in the Windows 10 firewall to allow the port threw once I did that everything works just fine. Maybe that is your trouble as well?

This scenario has been and still works with my linksys router. It doesn't work with the luma router. Luma support states it won't. This is really a basic function and should work.

When i state the product isn't usable, basically I am saying I can't remove my current router because the features I expect to be there aren't. I shouldn't have to keep my old router in place and it defeats the purpose of getting the luma in the first place. I need to be able to forward multiple ports to internal ports.

Here's the list i sent to feedback and support:

• I can’t change the default subnet, you may not think it’s important, I do.
  • I can’t setup simple port forwarding rules, and the DHCP reservation/Port forwarding part of the app is not very good right now.
  • Port forwarding doesn’t work.
  • Why can’t I manually add a DHCP reservation for things I have a hard coded IP address for, so it doesn’t create a conflict?
  • Where’s the web UI for me to do things?
  • Where’s a windows app?
  • At first I used an android tablet to setup my 3 devices, mistake, you need to tell people they HAVE to use a phone.
  • Your website and instructions state this can be setup using a smart phone. I have a windows smart phone, I couldn’t use it to setup my devices. I had to find an andriod phone once I realized an android table won’t work. You need to stop saying this can be setup using a smart phone and state clearly that this can only be setup with an iphone or android phone.
  • Continuing on my last point, where a windows phone app? It is, after all, a smart phone too.
  • Advanced setup in the app is weak, and there really isn’t anything about it that lets me do advanced things.

Thanks,

-Eric

Tier 2 support told me it should work, so I'll try it again next week when I am back.

Right, That's what I said after testing it does work, I can even assign multiple ports and or port ranges. If it does not work for you something is wrong.

Here's the list i sent to feedback and support:

• I can’t change the default subnet, you may not think it’s important, I do.
  • A) I am with you, I would also like to change the default subnet and according to Luma there working on it with no ETA.
  •  
  • I can’t setup simple port forwarding rules, and the DHCP reservation/Port forwarding part of the app is not very good right now.
  • A) I am able to setup port forwarding rules and DHCP reservations without any problem as noted above.
  •  
  • Port forwarding doesn’t work.
  • A) It works for me, Same as above.
  •  
  • Why can’t I manually add a DHCP reservation for things I have a hard coded IP address for, so it doesn’t create a conflict?
  • A) Not sure what you mean here, It sounds conflicting to me, DHCP reservations work just fine for me.
  •  
  • Where’s the web UI for me to do things?
  • A) I have been told in the past they are working on a web interface but no ETA.
  •  
  • Where’s a windows app?
  • A) According to Luma they have told me in the past there is no plans for one right now and there explanation was because the Android, iOS and web interface will cover the gamut.
  •  
  • At first I used an android tablet to setup my 3 devices, mistake, you need to tell people they HAVE to use a phone.
  • A) At first I tried to use an Android phone (Samsung Note4) without success, After 45 minutes I decided to use a Samsung Android tablet and it worked great so I don't know what was wrong for you. Luma says they have fixed the setup problem with the Samsung Note4 but I have not tested it to see if it works.
  •  
  • Your website and instructions state this can be setup using a smart phone. I have a windows smart phone, I couldn’t use it to setup my devices. I had to find an andriod phone once I realized an android table won’t work. You need to stop saying this can be setup using a smart phone and state clearly that this canonly be setup with an iphone or android phone.
  • A) A quick search for the 'getluma app' quickly shows its only available for Android and iOS https://getluma.com/app/
  •  
  • Continuing on my last point, where a windows phone app? It is, after all, a smart phone too.
  • A) there wont be any anytime soon if ever, Sad as it maybe Windows phone is not doing very well and many devs don't support it.
  •  
  • Advanced setup in the app is weak, and there really isn’t anything about it that lets me do advanced things.
  • A) Could you please explain what you mean by this? What is it you want to do that is not already there not counting the ability to change the subnet?