RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

DLink 16 port Gb Ethernet switch $59.99

awraynor

It is the JGS524Ev2. Open box, but everything sealed like new except the switch which looks like new.

Everything is working, but some problems logging into the router via the provided software. 

Capture.JPG

schoondoggy

It is the JGS524Ev2. Open box, but everything sealed like new except the switch which looks like new.

Everything is working, but some problems logging into the router via the provided software.

What router are you having issues logging into?

awraynor

As long as I understand it correctly, the Netgear software to manage the switch itself.

dalem

technically it was a different model number with an "e" after 524.  But for $60 that looks like an awesome deal, even if it were an Unmanaged switch

I don't consider that a different model number.  But I am not going to split hairs.  I just think it is to easy to confuse the two.

dalem

You need to look through the documentation.  It will tell you what the default subnet is for that switch.  It is probably something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 .  Once you connect to it you will be able to change it to the subnet you use on your network.  I had a couple Dell PowerConnects (managed switches) that used 192.168.2.1 as their factory default ip address.

As long as I understand it correctly, the Netgear software to manage the switch itself.

You should be able to point your web browser to the ip address of the switch.  I personally don't bother with the software.  My Negear ReadyNAS has software to connect to it.  I hate it.  It requires Java to be installed.  I don't want java anywhere on my computer.  I just use my web browser to connect to it.

jmwills

That error box is telling you the Switch and Router are on two different subnets and/or IP Schemas and that's why you cannot hit the router when going through the new switch.  You can probably configure the router to accept the scheme of the switch or just change the config of the swicth

awraynor

I had to change the network adapter address to 192.168.0.XX (something less than 10) to get it to work to connect with only that

desktop being connected to the switch. Entering the IP address of the switch does not allow access. 

Quite a few settings and I"ll check them out. At least with this switch Ooma isn't as particular as it has been before.

dalem

I had to change the network adapter address to 192.168.0.XX (something less than 10) to get it to work to connect with only that

desktop being connected to the switch. Entering the IP address of the switch does not allow access. 

Quite a few settings and I"ll check them out. At least with this switch Ooma isn't as particular as it has been before.

This is just me but I always reset new hardware I get to factory defaults.  Now when you look through the documentation and start changing things.  They follow what is printed in the documentation.  I have bought some refurbished stuff over the years.  I would try to figure out why something isn't working the way it is suppose to.  I go to find out some odd setting was set that I didn't know about.  This would be a good idea especially on a smart (managed) switch.  A lot of little settings that make big differences on how it works.

Have fun!  They are fun to use and learn on.

• Like 1

awraynor

Over the long weekend although I'm working I may just give that a try. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk