RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

DLink 16 port Gb Ethernet switch $59.99

awraynor

I was just asking a question about a new switch. Good for gaming so would assume for a general use switch for multimedia 

playback and file transfer? For home use managed or non-managed make a difference?

Looks like it's the same price at Amazon with Free Prime Shipping. Score.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-16-Port-Gigabit-Switch-DGS-1016A/dp/B0092KZBCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472410577&sr=8-1&keywords=D-Link+DGS-1016A

dalem

I use all D-Link switches.  Mine are all un-managed.  I don't think you need managed.  With managed switches you can do the following.  QOS (Quality of Service) which means you can set priority on specific services.  Like you can have voip (voice over internet protocol) to have a higher priority than other services like www, ftp, etc.   Another feature is Vlans.  You can create multiple networks on designated ports.  Other features include LAG (Link aggregation).  You can bond 2 ports together and get double the speed.  Though every network device needs to support it.  There are many other features.

These un-managed ones listed above would suit you fine.  I use 300 to 700 gb a month according to TWC.  So the unmanaged switches are very capable.

awraynor

I use all D-Link switches.  Mine are all un-managed.  I don't think you need managed.  With managed switches you can do the following.  QOS (Quality of Service) which means you can set priority on specific services.  Like you can have voip (voice over internet protocol) to have a higher priority than other services like www, ftp, etc.   Another feature is Vlans.  You can create multiple networks on designated ports.  Other features include LAG (Link aggregation).  You can bond 2 ports together and get double the speed.  Though every network device needs to support it.  There are many other features.

These un-managed ones listed above would suit you fine.  I use 300 to 700 gb a month according to TWC.  So the unmanaged switches are very capable.

I picked up a 24-bay managed switch on E-Bay NIB for less than $60. From a seller one hour from me no less. Going to try it out, could use the QOS for Ooma and TV streaming.

Worst scenario I learn a little, including that maybe I don't need a managed switch. 

schoondoggy

I picked up a 24-bay managed switch on E-Bay NIB for less than $60. From a seller one hour from me no less. Going to try it out, could use the QOS for Ooma and TV streaming.

Worst scenario I learn a little, including that maybe I don't need a managed switch.

What model did you get?

awraynor

What model did you get?

Open Box buy. All items look in original packaging. Buyer says if issues I can send back, but for $53.88 what the heck. According to itGeeks might

be a generation behind?

NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524E 24-Port Gigabit Rackmount Web Managed Plus Switch

dalem

Open Box buy. All items look in original packaging. Buyer says if issues I can send back, but for $53.88 what the heck. According to itGeeks might

be a generation behind?

NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524E 24-Port Gigabit Rackmount Web Managed Plus Switch

Are you sure you have the model correct?  According to Netgear it is a unmanaged switch.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/JGS524.aspx#tab-techspecs

Yeah you can use QOS.  There are some unmanaged switches that have QOS support.  Though I think the QOS would be better on a managed switch.  I used Netgear back in the 90's.  They are very nice.

jmwills

Are you sure you have the model correct?  According to Netgear it is a unmanaged switch.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/JGS524.aspx#tab-techspecs

Yeah you can use QOS.  There are some unmanaged switches that have QOS support.  Though I think the QOS would be better on a managed switch.  I used Netgear back in the 90's.  They are very nice.

here's the correct link to the product info page:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/jgs524ev2.aspx#1908  I do believe it is a Managed Switch.

dalem

here's the correct link to the product info page:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/jgs524ev2.aspx#1908  I do believe it is a Managed Switch.

Hmmmm looks like it is.  Must be a model above the other one.  The only cosmetic difference is it says Pro Safe.  I think it is odd that they just didn't give it a different model number.  It would be very easy to make a mistake and confuse the two of them.

Edited by dalem

jmwills

technically it was a different model number with an "e" after 524.  But for $60 that looks like an awesome deal, even if it were an Unmanaged switch