RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
alzoo

upgrade to a E3-1260L or a E3-1265L (non V2)

alzoo

Hi everyone,

just need some advice or user experience with upgrading the CPU. On ebay at the mo there are both the E3-1260L or a E3-1265L (non V2) selling relatively cheap from China.  Is there a preferred model I should go for on my G1610T running ESXI 5.5?

I do have a PCIe RAID P222 controller in there as well for my 4 sata disks

thanks for your help

Alzoo

alzoo

Thanks SD,

looks like I might go for the E3-1260L if this is a standard CPU more so than the E3-1265L v1 - as I'm reading on this forum the E3-1260L has been tested and documented more. no?

What is your opinion if I should save up for the E3-1265Lv2 instead?

alzoo

Ok awesome thanks for doing this for me.

quick two questions arise from that comparison chart (which I am most grateful for)

1. Memory types are different -  and I just happen to have a Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM (CT102472BD160B) in mine so is the 1260L compatible with it?  I'm guessing no.

2. I notice the 1260L hasn't got anything listed for the PCI Express Configurations. I guess this does't matter as there is only 1 PCIe slot.

Thoughts..

Metallus

1. Yes

2. Doesn't matter

alzoo

Thanks Metallus,

I assume then my RAM Mhz will drop from 1600 to 1066..   Still what's youre preference? save up for a E3-1265L V2?

Metallus

I don't know your usage case. I cannot tell you what to do. For me, the V2 would be a better choice. It has a lower TDP, therefore a lower temperature. That translates to lower noise output.

But that is just MY usage environment. I live in a VERY quiet place. If the Gen8 starts acting up when it overheats, I can hear it wight away, even though I have moved it in the attic.

To me, although it is not a big difference in power usage, I would still refer the lower TDP processor; even it means a bigger initial investment. Not only would it run cooler, but also quieter.

That being said, I don't see a HOME usage for me that would require a XEON. My i5 is enough for the next 4-5 years. I still kept the original Celeron, just in case. If the prices go really down on the XEONs, I might consider picking one up just to keep around.

alzoo

Thanks for your opinion and usage.

I have mine sitting in my living room next to the TV (which is also next to the ISP router). I run vmware on it and ideally would like multiple VMs to play around with.  I currently have 1 VM and it's already maxed out celeron. I had to buy the P222 as the B120i could not support the raid config under vmware..

Look likes I am saving up then ;)  unless the E3-1265L (Non V2) has the same specs as the V2, and I assume only less powerful.  Too bad there are no official spec sheets on it from intel.

Has anyone benchmarked the E3-1265L (NON V2) to add to the chart?

schoondoggy

I don't know your usage case. I cannot tell you what to do. For me, the V2 would be a better choice. It has a lower TDP, therefore a lower temperature. That translates to lower noise output.

But that is just MY usage environment. I live in a VERY quiet place. If the Gen8 starts acting up when it overheats, I can hear it wight away, even though I have moved it in the attic.

To me, although it is not a big difference in power usage, I would still refer the lower TDP processor; even it means a bigger initial investment. Not only would it run cooler, but also quieter.

That being said, I don't see a HOME usage for me that would require a XEON. My i5 is enough for the next 4-5 years. I still kept the original Celeron, just in case. If the prices go really down on the XEONs, I might consider picking one up just to keep around.

According to Ark they are both 45w TDP.