RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Considering a G8

AngryDog

Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to the server scene.  I do have a G7 N54L but I have found it to be wanting for what I want from it, so I am considering a G8, but, my head has been turned by the Dell T20.

Does anyone have any experience of both servers, or advice on which one may best suit my requirements?  

My plan is to run;

1 x Plex server

1 x Windows 2008 R2 file server

1 x Windows 2008 R2 DC

1 x Windows 2012 R2 to learn on

Any and all advice gratefully accepted.

I would go for the Dell t20 xeon version though if cashback is still on it I haven't looked for a while you will get all esxi features getting a xeon for the gen 8 very expensive and dell can take 32gb ram compared to 16gb gen 8. It is hit and miss with the stupid setup of the gen 8 if you will end up with a noisy server generally the Dell is quiet and can be made quieter with a couple of new inexpensive fans. If you don't mind the size difference the Dell I wish I had the funds at the time to get one

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi

I have both AngryDog and I love my G8 so much, it is best money I ever spent, but the T20 has cashback and windows server 2012 R2 loaded easily and orks perfectly, however several issues loading on the G8 with drivers etc.

I still use my G8 as primary server as I love it and it uses far less power, but the T20 is excellent value for money.

Best wishes

K

Thanks guys.

I can get the G8 for £148.99 including the £35 discount, or the Dell T20 for £219.99 including the £80 discount.  It comes with the same amount of RAM, faster CPU and a 1TB drive.  The thing I like about my G7 (and subsequently the G8) is the internal USB port and in the case of the G8 an onboard MicroSD card.

I think overall it will be cheaper to go for the T20, install ESXi and run with that, after putting more RAM and HDD's in.  I will just need to leave the USB with ESXi on connected to one of the External USB ports.

I will then be able to sell my G7 and recover some of the upgrade money back.

The internal SD card isn't really particularly useful for anything except maybe a rescue OS image. The performance of SD cards is dire. Random writes are sufficiently slow that the experience will be terrible, even though read-only performance is reasonable.

Thanks guys.

So it is looking like I am going for the T20.  Now its just the RAM to buy.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.