RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3-1265Lv2

ACaveMan

Hello, I've recently ordered a G1610T and am already looking at different processors (Not even received yet, damn courier). I've heard many amazing things about the E3-1265Lv2, but is it worth the ~£300 I've seen them for? Obviously I'm going to wait to see how much of the stock CPU I use but if I upgrade I tend to go large!

I've seen one on eBay for about £250 shipping from China, from a seller with good rep. Is it worth going for? Is £250 too much? Should I get a different processor? (and i3 or the i5 3470T?)

Thanks!

It mostly depends on your usage case. I have the I5-3470T in mine and I still haven't managed to top it. I have Win2012R2 running two VMs with 10Gb DDR3. I find it a better HOME compromise to the overly powerful XEON. If you really need it, then there is your answer. If not, I would not invest such a big amount of money in something I would end up just leaving in a corner to do its server job. You need to account for the higher electricity costs involved. The Xeon is not just a one time purchase, but the costs involved include the electricity.

Good luck!

It mostly depends on your usage case. I have the I5-3470T in mine and I still haven't managed to top it. I have Win2012R2 running two VMs with 10Gb DDR3. I find it a better HOME compromise to the overly powerful XEON. If you really need it, then there is your answer. If not, I would not invest such a big amount of money in something I would end up just leaving in a corner to do its server job. You need to account for the higher electricity costs involved. The Xeon is not just a one time purchase, but the costs involved include the electricity.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah the cost is the main consideration. I thought about the i5 because of higher speed would probably be more useful to me than more cores. Plus the i's get hyper threading too.

I'll still wait to see what my utilization is before jumping on the Xeon or i5 though

Depending what you are going to use your server for..

The i5's offer decent bang for buck, but again, depends on your usage..

Depending what you are going to use your server for..

The i5's offer decent bang for buck, but again, depends on your usage..

Good luck!

The higher electricity cost for the Xeon in home usage scenario is $2.41 per YEAR. Don't think it's gonna break the bank....

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1265L-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470T

The higher electricity cost for the Xeon in home usage scenario is $2.41 per YEAR. Don't think it's gonna break the bank....

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1265L-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470T

The power to run a G8 was one of the reasons I got one. Thanks psykix for showing there is little difference!

Also remember there's no ECC on the i3 and the i5.

I didn't consider this, that could be an issue + more cost. Thanks gordan