itGeeks

Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi Reviews

itGeeks

Well we have setup a review thread for the others so I figure I would start it out, Orbi looks very prommising and could very well end up being the top performer looking at the specs and could very well take the performance trophy away from Ubiquity AmpliFi.

Engadget talks about Orbi https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/22/netgear-orbi/

SmallNetBuilder, Make sure to also scroll down and read the comments. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-introduces-orbi-wi-fi-mesh-system.34294/

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

cskenney

Comes out in September and no early preview by anyone yet?

I like the idea of more players in the mesh playing field. More competition will drive faster implementation of needed features and hopefully provide cost controls.

Jason

I've always liked Netgear products for consumer grade products. Still looking forward to Open-Mesh's 6.2 firmware beta.

schoondoggy

Stopped by the Best Buy Smart Home at Mall of America. They had Orbi, but it was not fully functional.

itGeeks

Stopped by the Best Buy Smart Home at Mall of America. They had Orbi, but it was not fully functional.

Interesting, How did it look in person? Would the size of the unit stop you from installing it in your own house if it performed well?

schoondoggy

Interesting, How did it look in person? Would the size of the unit stop you from installing it in your own house if it performed well?

It is bigger than the other mesh product:

oNxaDu.jpg

I think it would look fine in most homes:

w44rLD.jpg

JROrtiz

Orbi certainly looks interesting and given that it's Netgear, maybe they can actually deliver local control rather than a cloud only solution.

Don't get too enamored with the specs though. As I've argued before (and has been proven with Luma), specs are meaningless without proper software and optimization.

(Edited for content and snarkiness)

Edited by JoseROrtiz
  • Like 1

itGeeks

Orbi certainly looks interesting and given that it's Netgear, maybe they can actually deliver local control rather than a cloud only solution.

Don't get too enamored with the specs though. As I've argued before (and has been proven with Luma), specs are meaningless without proper software and optimization.

(Edited for content and snarkiness)

Correct and that's y I keep saying on paper and please lets not single out Luma here, Eero also has the same challenges and has been returned by at least 1 forum member because it did not perform as promised. There is one thing for sure unlike Luma and I don't know about Eero both Orbi and AmpliFi have real firewalls with real protection such as 'SPI' and 'DoS' protection so right out of the gate both Orbi and AmpliFi are more secure in 'gateway mode' and that alone is a good reason to choose Orbi/AmpliFi over Luma and not sure about Eero.

Its a very interesting line up of products and I can't wait for Asus to enter the arena I (assume) they will and battle it out for the trophy of front runner, This is some healthy competition and the customer will benefit from it.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

It is bigger than the other mesh product:

oNxaDu.jpg

I think it would look fine in most homes:

w44rLD.jpg

I don't think it looks bad at all, Some are complaining about the size and all I can say is its much more pleasing then legacy router that are starting to look like spaceships with many external ugly antennas. I guess this is a case of beauty is in the eyes of the beholder Thanks for the pics. Schoon you thinking of trying it out?

Edited by itGeeks

Dave

Size looks fine.  Ok, who has their router and cable modem on display?  Show of hands.  

Me?  Mine is in the bowels of the ship. Basement.  This does me zero good out of the box unless the single repeater/meshed unit is phenomonal.  Yes, this is my argument for every product.  I'm an equal opportunity skeptic.