RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrossco

Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack

Dave

Thanks for the heads up mrossco. Talked a bit about this on 106!

ikon

My understanding is you get 10 keys (for some items) and each one can be used 10 times. I have not heard or read anything about not being able to use the same key at the same time more than once. For my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit install, I am using the same key on 5 different machines with no problem.

Thanks very much. Since you are using 1 key 5 times concurrently, the answer seems pretty definitive.

Jazman

Question for you TechNet guys...

I've been considering giving TechNet a shot due to my usage model. Now that they're re-releasing the family pack, it's a tougher question. But, here's a question that affects whether it makes sense for me or not. Let's say I subscribe to TechNet and install software using those keys. After a year a 2, I decide to drop TechNet. Now, a year later I need to reload Windows on a machine that I used a TechNet license key on, can I reload it with that same key or is that key no longer valid?

I realize the "Microsoft" answer is that you're supposed to uninstall anything with a TechNet key when you unsubscribe, but for an OS that is a PITA. This is especially true since Microsoft won't let you change keys. For example, I install Win7 Home Premium 64-bit with a technet key. After I unsubscribe I go out and buy a regular license. The only way to use that license (that I am aware of) would be reinstall.

So, I guess this is 2 questions: 1. Can I continue to use that TechNet key installed system (and continue to do updates (especially those that require you to re-authenticate windows))? 2. Can I reinstall with that key or will it bounce activation (again, looking for ability not necessarily what is "legal")?

Thanks,

Keith

usacomp2k3

You can change to another key if you sysprep the machine.

Guest no-control

The TechNET keys are full retail keys and act as such.

Answers

1. Yes

2. Yes up to 10 times for each key, just like retail

If you really want to work it. Install base o/s and backup to your WHS. Similar to a template. You can then image the clean backup to a PC as many times as you like.

Remember Technet gives you 2 keys of EACH version. 2 Ultimate, 2 Pro, 2 HP. Thats 6 keys with 10 installs each or 60 installs just for windows 7.

Jazman

The TechNET keys are full retail keys and act as such.

Answers

1. Yes

2. Yes up to 10 times for each key, just like retail

If you really want to work it. Install base o/s and backup to your WHS. Similar to a template. You can then image the clean backup to a PC as many times as you like.

Remember Technet gives you 2 keys of EACH version. 2 Ultimate, 2 Pro, 2 HP. Thats 6 keys with 10 installs each or 60 installs just for windows 7.

So, it looks like TechNet is $200/year ($150 renewal). Do they ever run discounts or is it pretty stable at that price?

Keith

Guest no-control

Occasionally (usually in the summer) there's a $50 off code. Might want to search the net forst.

hightechaddict

I have found that there is usually some kind of discount code available for new technet subscribers. Not just in the summertime. A quick Bing for "technet discount" shows that currently you can get 25% off technet Pro (through October 31) using the code TNITQ406 as detailed in this technet blog posting 25% off Technet

Edited by hightechaddict

dvn

The Windows 7 Family pack deal runs until 1/1/11. Get yours now.