RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrossco

Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack

mrossco

For those of you that follow Paul Thurott and/or listen to his Windows Weekly podcast, you may recall his mentioning a few months back that Microsoft would be re-releasing the Windows 7 Family Pack in time for Christmas. Well, it looks like Santa is coming a bit early!

http://www.staples.com/StaplesProductDisplay?PID=227502&jspStoreDir=Staples&CID=AFF%253A227502%253A227502%253A10422268&productId=348199&cm_mmc=CJ-_-227502-_-227502-_-10422268&langId=-1&SID=E011A0C224309C0A00224309A0A1A0A0E9&AID=10422268&storeId=10001

This is perfect if you have multiple PCs in your home that you'd like to upgrade to Windows 7.

usacomp2k3

Going to try to talk my in-laws into this. We'll see how well that works.

ikon

nice. Too bad, I have a TechNet subscription so I don't really need it.

mrossco

nice. Too bad, I have a TechNet subscription so I don't really need it.

Not to open a can of worms, but TechNet subscriptions are "per seat", meaning you get all those wonderfull software licenses for you personally for learning. The Family Pack deal is for, well, your family. Wife, kids, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. Anyone living in a single houshold can take advantage of the 3 licenses in this pack.

jmwills

Each TechNet key can be activated 10 times.

Guest no-control

Distributing Technet licenses at home on multiple computers you own and with multiple users is accepted. How else are you going to test their software in a home environment? You can also distribute to people outside of your home for non-profit use is also acceptable as well, Its how you test remote functions built into the software.

ikon

Distributing Technet licenses at home on multiple computers you own and with multiple users is accepted. How else are you going to test their software in a home environment? You can also distribute to people outside of your home for non-profit use is also acceptable as well, Its how you test remote functions built into the software.

exactly. Arguably, everything I do on machines at home is testing. What I learn goes to work with me, where it often helps with projects. We're still using Win XP at work (like a lot of others). What I learn about Win 7, Office 2010, IE8/9, etc. at home will have real impact on projects to roll them out to employees. And work isn't even paying for my TechNet. Sure, I also use the computers for personal stuff, but that too becomes part of the testing. I fully believe I'm following the spirit of the TechNet license.

Each TechNet key can be activated 10 times.

I've always been a bit confused by this terminology. Does this mean you can have 10 machines concurrently using the same license, or does it mean you can re-install and re-activate 10 times per license? Just wondering if you know.

Edited by ikon

jmwills

From what I have been told, each key can be activated 10 times. I would highly discourage the concurrent use of the same key 10 times. This was easy enough to avoid in past times, but with the recent change of keys issued with TechNet subscriptions (2 vs 10), this will be harder to keep up with unless you physically track where every key is, such as a spreadsheet, as I do.

geek-accountant

My understanding is you get 10 keys (for some items) and each one can be used 10 times. I have not heard or read anything about not being able to use the same key at the same time more than once. For my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit install, I am using the same key on 5 different machines with no problem.

I have Windows 7 and Office 2010 loaded on all my machines at home. At the office all of us are on Win XP using either Office 2000 or 2003. Being able to use Windows 7 and Office 2010 at home has allowed me to understand the benefits of moving to the new software and discuss them with our IT department. The first group we are converting is my Corporate Accounting group, after that others will follow I am sure, at least the groups that report to me.

Had it not been for my Technet subscription and the loading of the software at home, who knows when we would have upgraded, keep in mind at least half the building was still using Office 2000 and there where no talks of upgrading them.

jmwills

You only get mostly two keys now due to a recent change in the Standard subscription and 5 with the Professional.

My link