RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migrating from storage spaces to drivepool

I am currently running an evaluation version of server 2012 r2 essentials and have three drives for data (1 , 2 and 4 TB) and an SSD with the OS on it. Total storage is a little over 1TB (mirrored 2 way) but unevenly spread between the initial 1 TB drive (came with server) and the later added drives. Storage spaces doesnt apparently rebalance though i hear that is being added to server 2016 and is in windows 10. Also i just realized that apparently the data in storage spaces is not readable in other windows computers; as in if the server were to crash, I could not just attach the drive by usb/sata to another windows PC and read the NTFS data. As a result i am looking into other options such as drivepool.

I was google searching for a built in technique to migrate from storage spaces to drivepool and could not find one.

So my plan was to remove the 1 T drive using the storage spaces remove drive tool, then add a new 4T drive and assign it to drivepool. I will then move the client backup folders and photos, videos etc to this new drive. Or i guess i can manually copy the same folders to the new drive...probably the same thing! Then i will delete the storage space and reclaim the remaining two drives (2 and 4t) and add them to drivepool to permit mirroring. Is this the best way or is there a method built into drivepool that is faster? Should i reformat before adding the two drives to drivepool?

thank you

I've had a machine with DrivePool and one with Storage Spaces, the storage spaces one had a drive fail and the whole thing went south.

DrivePool is way better than storage spaces.  Just wait patiently for Drashna to reply here (and he will) and you will get the perfect answer or if you are impatient then ask here :

StableBit - The home of StableBit CloudDrive, StableBit DrivePool and the StableBit Scanner

and you will get an answer within 24 hours.

Thanks. I will wait for him (noticed he posts on this matter and others and so asked here).

Good to know u feel that drivepool is better too. When u say 'way better', are there are specific benefits you have found helpful. My main reason was the lack of rebalancing drives or cross computer readability of storage spaces (which i thought was there on WHS v1...strange). Thanks.

I've had a machine with DrivePool and one with Storage Spaces, the storage spaces one had a drive fail and the whole thing went south.

Wow, isnt that the very basic expectation of storage space! to recover from a hard drive failure. I am glad i am hearing this now before i have invested more into it.

IF there was space on the array for the data to be migrated it might have worked out differently but because the drives were near on full there was nowhere for anything to go so it just fell on its arse, with Drivepool if your "pool" fails for any reason the data is stored on an NTFS drive so you can simply put it into another machine and get back whatever data is stored on that drive, files arent spread around, they are stored whole on a drive so its soooo much easier to pull data back...

Granted its not as good as having an actual backup but still...

Al_Borges

Storage Spaces  reminds me of the famous line from Animal House -     "Fat Dumb and Slow is no way to go through life son"   ( Dean Wermer to Flounder)

Interested to hear what the  experts say but what ever you do have a backup     As I have been told many times on this forum  " Drive Duplication" does not equal backup

Hi @Drashna,

Any thoughts on this and other thread? Sorry to bump message

@Drashna : Does my plan sound OK (remove disk and then migrate to new drive as i dont have any free SATA slots)?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard back from Drashna, so may be I should post on the other forum drivepool forum u mentioned.

DrivePool is way better than storage spaces.  Just wait patiently for Drashna to reply here (and he will) and you will get the perfect answer or if you are impatient then ask here :

StableBit - The home of StableBit CloudDrive, StableBit DrivePool and the StableBit Scanner

and you will get an answer within 24 hours.

As an aside point, apparently it is not easy to remove a drive from SS either. Googling it suggests using powershell to retire a disk, repair the virtual disk and then extract. Complicating matters, storage spaces is now reporting low hard drive space despite having a total of 4+2+1 TB in the dell t20 storage spaces while i only have 0.84 TB of data!! Doubling that should be 1.68 TB (as reported by file explorer). So beats me why it is running out of space.

As last case scenario, if I destroy the storage space and restart as Drive pool, does anyone know if I can recover the backuped clients from veeam?

thanks

Poppapete

I have not heard back from Drashna, so may be I should post on the other forum drivepool forum u mentioned.

As an aside point, apparently it is not easy to remove a drive from SS either. Googling it suggests using powershell to retire a disk, repair the virtual disk and then extract. Complicating matters, storage spaces is now reporting low hard drive space despite having a total of 4+2+1 TB in the dell t20 storage spaces while i only have 0.84 TB of data!! Doubling that should be 1.68 TB (as reported by file explorer). So beats me why it is running out of space.

As last case scenario, if I destroy the storage space and restart as Drive pool, does anyone know if I can recover the backuped clients from veeam?

thanks

Drashna must have missed this thread which is unusual as it is about DrivePool.  So post your questions on the Stablebit site.