RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 r2 backup vs veeam or crashplan

asdaHP

Hi,

I am gradually (very slowly) migrating from the good old HP ex490 v1 to a server 2012 r2 essentials on a dell t20. I have installed the evaluation version of 2012 r2 essentials, added a bunch of HDDs, learning about the OS and have installed connectors in a few client pcs and backed them to the server.

I am now looking into what options I have to backup the server itself. In WHS v1, i used the add in BDBB (i believe alex kurtz introduced it) to save a copy of the client backups to an USB drive. I am looking into similar options on 2012r2 essentials. The server OS comes with its own server backup app but seems to want to reformat my external drive so i have not tested it as yet till i get hold of an empty drive. Do most people use this to backup their servers? and is it fast?

Alternatively I was wondering if veeam or crashplan would work to backup the server to an external drive. I just today installed crashplan and started a backup to the external drive (USB 3.0 seagate backup plus 4TB) of around 600gb (client backup and system files) and after 5 hours, had backed about 5% so have paused it. Planning to test veeam free backup as they state it does work on servers.

Wanted to see if anyone had experiences or suggestions on server backup.

thank you

On the server directly, run "wbadmin.msc".  This gives you more control over the built in backup. 

Though it's not the same as WHS BDBB, which stores everything as individual files. It's an image based backup. 

Alternatively, you could definitely use Veeam for a bare metal backup. 

Thanks Drashna.. I just installed veeam and am starting the backup process and will keep the server command prompt method option for the future...I gather you use this inbuilt server backup method to backup your server (s)?

Yeah, I use the built in backup.  For 2 of my servers, at least. The other two are running Windows 10, and are backed up by Essentials. 

Yeah, I use the built in backup.  For 2 of my servers, at least. The other two are running Windows 10, and are backed up by Essentials. 

Hi Drashna,

Is there a way to only backup the OS and registry without the data files? I currently have the OS and other executable files like plex etc on the SSD and the data on three spinning drives.

If thats not possible or recommended and i do back them everything up using the built in server backup, when or if i run a recovery, can one force the OS to install into a separate drive like the SSD and the data into separate drives. Just thinking forward,

Lastly i posted a question on drivepools in a separate thread.

thanks again

If VEEAM endpoint is running, I would highly recommend sticking with it. It's a great product. I utilise it both professionally (both the free endpoint backup and the VEEAM Enterprise Plus software, gotta love the WAN accelerator) and personally

If VEEAM endpoint is running, I would highly recommend sticking with it. It's a great product. I utilise it both professionally (both the free endpoint backup and the VEEAM Enterprise Plus software, gotta love the WAN accelerator) and personally

Yes it is incrementally backing up the server nightly so i suspect very similar to the built in backup of 2012 r2. I chose partly because the windows server backup deletes the external drive and i didnt have an empty one to use for that purpose. Tried crashplan first ( and i mean local backup to the same external hard drive) and was strangely very very slow.

I dont know much about the veeam enterprise backup repository. Too bad they dont have a $60 plan like crashplan to backup into the cloud. id take that!

I dont know much about the veeam enterprise backup repository. Too bad they dont have a $60 plan like crashplan to backup into the cloud. id take that!

The VEEAM enterprise repositorys are normally run by third parties, you may be able to find one, but honestly for endpoint backup machines I just use a backup disk. The repo is really only useful for VM's and even then only if you are doing versioning and guest file listing (allows you to restore a file rather than the whole OS). I normally use a NAS for the backups or a file share, but that is because I prefer to have storage centralised and then the storage systems to replicate.