RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PINKTULIP

Up to the Job??

usacomp2k3

Gotcha. Technically, all OEM licenses are not allowed to be transferred from 1 machine to another. They are tied to the physical machine on which you originally install it.

ikon

Gotcha. Technically, all OEM licenses are not allowed to be transferred from 1 machine to another. They are tied to the physical machine on which you originally install it.

According to EULA, yes, but it should be mentioned that many people, including some lawyers, question the legality of such a license stipulation.

PINKTULIP

OK - this license issue is a bit of a worry. What would be the case if you were to do a new build with an OEM license and then the motherboard was to fail say within the first 3 months which does happen, would Microsoft expect you to buy another license?

usacomp2k3

I think the spirit of the rule is that you can't use it when on completely separate machines. If a component dies and you replace it, that's one thing. If you sell the entire system to your neighbor, that doesn't free up the license to use on another PC that you have.

That said, I've never heard of MS refusing to activate an OEM license on a new box, as long as they are convinced that you're not using it concurrently on 2 machines.

dvn

I've transferred an OEM license of XP Pro from one machine to another. If automatic activation failed, a phone call to MS saying it was only installed on one machine gained me the activation.