RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PINKTULIP

Up to the Job??

PINKTULIP

Hi Guys

I got this deal offered from e-buyer in the UK, and i wondered whether you think it would make a good starting point for a Vail build, it seems quite a good price i can get it on offer for £239 ($370 US).

What do you think?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219937

Rgds

Pete

dvn

It'd be interesting. Clarksdale CPU. Base graphics speed is lower than the i3-530, but that may not matter. Worst case scenario, you could drop an i3 or i5 in there if you're not satisfied with the performance. How many HDD's can the case hold?

I say check it out if there's a decent return policy.

PINKTULIP

It'd be interesting. Clarksdale CPU. Base graphics speed is lower than the i3-530, but that may not matter. Worst case scenario, you could drop an i3 or i5 in there if you're not satisfied with the performance. How many HDD's can the case hold?

I say check it out if there's a decent return policy.

Thanks DVN - i think it has 4 x 3.5" bays, so plenty to keep me going.

usacomp2k3

It's got gigabit ethernet, which is nice. Probably has pretty good airflow too. The only area where I'd be hesitant is I don't know how noisy it is. Most server cases don't have that as a consideration at all.

FYI. More info on HP's site:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15351-15351-241434-241646-3328424-3984625.html

pcdoc

Should be great for most Vail tasks except form major media conversion or heavy transcoding. The G9650 is only slightly slower the I3 so basic should be great.

PINKTULIP

My intention for my next box is basic storage and backups, but i also want it to be my main media server. I currently use DVD Shrink to rip dvd's uncompressed into TS Folders and run Media Browser on my Win7 MCE PC's. I would like to continue ripping directly on the server as this takes load of my LAN, and the server is easily accessible in my office. My current homebuild is based on an old Dell Dimension and is really starting to struggle for example when RDP into the box, it takes a long time for even the desktop to appear, and even longer to launch the Console or any apps.

The only components I would want to re-use would be the case and the PSU so i figured it might be better to start afresh, but any other suggestions are very welcome.

pcdoc

I am sure that this will perform better than what you presently have and should handle what you described. Worst case is in the future it is not enough, you easily upgrad the CPU down the road. My bet is that you will be happy with it as is for quite some time.

PINKTULIP

OK Guys, the feedback is much appreciated. The next step though is the migration. Do i build a new vail box and run it alongside my old Version 1 Production box, and then just upgrade when the full release version of vail comes out, or do i migrate my version 1 install onto the new build and then upgrade when a stable verion of vail is released?

usacomp2k3

Vail definitely isn't ready for production yet, and there's no telling when it will be. How content are you with your current WHS1 box? Also, what kind of license do you have? OEM?

PINKTULIP

I bought an OEM version of my license, and am very unhappy with my current WHS 1 box it is painfully slow!