RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can the NVIDIA SHIELD be a good Plex Media Server?

itGeeks

It is a great review, thank you for posting that. 

For what it is worth, I don't use "optimized versions" or thumbnails even on my powerful Plex server.

I was going to test Plex Server on my Shield today, running the movies from a thumb drive. Now I'm excited to go test it right now.

OK, setting up Plex Server is very, very easy. I used a 128gb USB thumb drive for two movies and a British Comedy series I like. I used Plex.TV to set up the libraries, I did not use the default libraries. I played back the files locally with no issue. So then I tried through Chrome on the PC I am typing this on. TV shows play, but movies never start. I confirmed the movies are in H.264 within MKV container. 

I'm going to do some more testing later on, as I have to go get my daughter's car out of the shop. The browser not working may not be a deal killer for me, since my plan is to use the Shield as a media server in my RV for the bedroom TV, then remotely to the other TVs in the RV using Nexus Players. I'll detail all this out once I have it tested and working. 

I have also ordered a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure so I can put some really large drives on there for sharing. If all goes well, a self-powered drive will work and the cabling will be very simple.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I did not have to make my removable media internal media. Plex picked right up that I was using removable media and had no trouble accessing it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I did not have to make my removable media internal media. Plex picked right up that I was using removable media and had no trouble accessing it.

This has all been great info, Thanks for sharing. What version of Shield did you go with? How large is your movie collection?

I'm going to dive back into this really soon. My external drive case will be here tomorrow, but my RV is in the shop so I can't go out and play. :(

I have three regular Shields, the 16gb version. Because of that, I am using external media for the movies.

I have over 600 movies and around 1500 TV shows on my main server. Of course I can't put all that on the Shield. My goal is to have many key movies that we watch over and over with friends while traveling, you know things like Young Frankenstein, Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, that sort of stuff. Then a good collection of movies we haven't watched. Right now I have DVDs in a cabinet in the RV, but even with a lot of them you can run out of stuff to watch. And most places either do not have wifi, have very slow wifi, and those that do not have those issues will block streaming. So it is either we tether to my phone and run through my data plan, or I need to bring movies with us.

When we go out, we usually have a friend come live at our house. But, they don't stay in our bedroom. So I'm setting up our bedroom Shield to be the portable media box. I already have a Nexus Player in the RV for the other TV. Sometimes people stay in our RV as a guest house, so the Nexus Player gets used for that when they do.

Edited by RobbieH

I'm going to dive back into this really soon. My external drive case will be here tomorrow, but my RV is in the shop so I can't go out and play. :(

I have three regular Shields, the 16gb version. Because of that, I am using external media for the movies.

I have over 600 movies and around 1500 TV shows on my main server. Of course I can't put all that on the Shield. My goal is to have many key movies that we watch over and over with friends while traveling, you know things like Young Frankenstein, Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, that sort of stuff. Then a good collection of movies we haven't watched. Right now I have DVDs in a cabinet in the RV, but even with a lot of them you can run out of stuff to watch. And most places either do not have wifi, have very slow wifi, and those that do not have those issues will block streaming. So it is either we tether to my phone and run through my data plan, or I need to bring movies with us.

When we go out, we usually have a friend come live at our house. But, they don't stay in our bedroom. So I'm setting up our bedroom Shield to be the portable media box. I already have a Nexus Player in the RV for the other TV. Sometimes people stay in our RV as a guest house, so the Nexus Player gets used for that when they do.

You'll struggle, because the metadata for that many movies and tv shows will more than fill your internal storage. I have 900 movies and only 119 TV Shows and my metadata folder is 15.1GB

PMS will only ever use the internal memory of the Shield - even if you add an SD card as internal storage.

You'll struggle, because the metadata for that many movies and tv shows will more than fill your internal storage. I have 900 movies and only 119 TV Shows and my metadata folder is 15.1GB

PMS will only ever use the internal memory of the Shield - even if you add an SD card as internal storage.

Read my upper post again. I put two movies and just a few TV shows (one 3 year series) on the Shield. It's all in test mode right now.

If I need more internal memory when I am finished, I can make some media into internal media.

Edited by RobbieH

Read my upper post again. I put two movies and just a few TV shows (one 3 year series) on the Shield. It's all in test mode right now.

If I need more internal memory when I am finished, I can make some media into internal media.

All I am saying, is that you cannot add a library that big (even if the media is stored elsewhere i.e. NAS) on a 16GB Shield.

As for your second sentence, Plex will not make use of it.

All I am saying, is that you cannot add a library that big (even if the media is stored elsewhere i.e. NAS) on a 16GB Shield.

As for your second sentence, Plex will not make use of it.

I don't understand that. The way it was explained to me is that anything you make into internal memory is seen by the Shield as the memory it has onboard plus the memory you have added as internal memory. In fact I've even tested this with a USB thumb drive. Once you tell the Shield to make it internal memory, it immediately starts moving applications and data to it, and the Shield shows one large internal drive. And here's the downside to that, as I learned the hard way - when you remove that media, you lose all the apps, settings, etc. that got moved to the additional media. I ended up having to reinstall and reconfigure a lot of stuff when I removed the media. That is why I'm avoiding adding any external media and making it internal media to the Shield, if I ever need to remove it in the future I'll be stuck reinstalling a bunch of stuff again, and that's not fun.