RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 Microserver stuck on POST

Milly

Hi

I have been successfully using a Gen8 as a VPN/NAS solution for the last year and yesterday decided to perform a fresh installation of Centos 7.2

It didn't go too well. I ran into loads of problems trying to use the NetInstall with the B120i drivers on a USB stick. I also tried using the minimum iso, again on a stick but with little success. To cut a long story short, I tried blanking everything on my HDD's using the Intelligent Provisioning and noticed there was new firmware available so decided to upgrade that and see if that made any difference with my install. After what appeared to be a success upgrade I now struggle to get the computer to pass the POST with it sticking on POST Code 5730 for around 30 minutes.

I have tried switch to the backup ROM but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I think it has something to do with my B120i because if I enter the ROM based setup and disable it the machine goes through POST at the normal pace, but I need my RAID array working for my Centos setup.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I might try to get this resolved?

Milly

To follow on from this, I appear to have fixed the issue but I am still not sure what has happened, of if it is gone for good. After posting the above question I tried restoring the Intelligent Provisioning software using the iso from the HP site (1.62b). I was then able to boot into IP but when the B120i was enabled the POST stuck at code 5730 for anywhere up to 1 hour and sometimes, apparently, permanently. Having practically given up for the next few weeks (as I am away on business), I went to the room where I store the server and noticed the red light was flashing. The IM Log on ILO showed that two drive bays that had different drives (different manufacturer and capacity) had just failed (Internal Storage Enclosure Device Failure). I removed both drives and booted the system and everything is now working normally and I have been able to install Centos 7.2 without any issues.

I'm now away so am not able to test the drives to determine if one or both of the drives have failed, or if it is a problem with the B120i, but at least I now have my server back up and working.