RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which would be better

rgreenpc

You have to make a decision weather you want RAID or not.  If you just want to duplicate the data in case of drive failure then stablebit drivepool is a much simpler and cheaper option. You can even do X2 or X3 duplication on important selected files depending on how many drives you have. In a commercial situation where you need redundancy so that the system keeps going after drive failure then RAID is the way to go.

I bought the ibm m1015 card which can be flashed to an lsi for 90 bucks on eBay and 2 cables to connect to drives as I plan to go to 4 6tb drives shortly (starting with 2) the others will be added around Christmas and I am thinking it may be better for me to use drive pool.

I can finally dump the USB drives

• Like 1

Well, the IBM card *is* an LSI chip already, but it's OEM chip.  Hence the "need" to cross flash it. 

For reference, ServeTheHome has a really good guide on this:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Just keep in mind, if your system is UEFI at all, you'll need to grab the EFI version of sas2flash (running off a DOS boot disk doesn't help... will fail on EFI systems).

Either IR or IT mode should be fine actually. Mine is in IR mode, even though I'm not using RAID. No issues. 

But yes, in "IT" mode, it functions as just an HBA card, no RAID or anything. Passes the disks to the OS.