RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which would be better

rgreenpc

Been looking at 2 HDD/RAID controllers

HighPoint RR2720SGL PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS 8-port RAID Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115129

vs

IBM Serveraid M1015 SAS/SATA Controller 46M0831-  https://www.amazon.com/IBM-Serveraid-M1015-Controller-46M0831/dp/B0034DMSO6

I feel I want raid not for speed but for fault protection. I fear having to rerun hundreds of bluray discs.

So I assume Raid5 is best for me.

I have that same HighPoint card and it has been running flawlessly for about 5 years now.  Just make sure you get the correct breakout cables.

To be honest, RAID5 is going to be pretty crappy on both of those controllers.

RAID10 is better, but you do lose more space than compared to RAID5. 

And I've owned both as well, I've found that the LSI based cards are more stable overall

The M1015 won't do RAID5 as is.  You have to get an Advance Feature Key for it.  

Or crossflash it. 

I was planning on running 4- 6 or 8tb drives. I was not sure if I want 1:1 duplication or just a safety net invade a drive dies.

As far as view much capacity I need...The mote the better. I was actually thinking of starting with 3 drives and adding a 4th later. I have space in the new case for 8 drives.

With 4-6 8TB drives I would not use either controller you have listed, rebuild times would be extreme. I have been a fan of RAID5, but as drives get bigger parity based RAID rebuilds take a long time and they put a strain on the existing drives. RAID10 is much safer and rebuild is fairly easy, but you lose 50% of your capacity. The LSI based cards handle RAID0-1-10. If you are looking for duplication of files you may want to consider Drive Pool.

• Like 1

I have 5 4T drives on the highpoint and it works great.  Have lost one drive and had no issues rebuilding it as I keep a spare.  What schoondoggy states is absolutely true but you will have to choose how safe is safe and how much capacity you want to give up.  As RAID is not a backup, I have opted for the best compromise which is RAID 5.  Speed is not an issue and my rebuild time is about 18 hours max.  At the end of the day, it is what makes us comfortable, but I have 3 of 2720SGL and if I had to start fresh today I would pick the same card.  My two cents.