RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gibster

Recommendation for setup

gibster

Hi.

I'm in the process of getting ready to install an Untangle server on my home network. I've also just connected with Fibre to the Node/VDSL network access here in Cairns AU. I'm currently using the ISP supplied gateway router. Because of issues with this router as mentioned in another post (locked down SIP configuration) I'm thinking of using this as only a modem, shutting down all services on the modem and putting it into Bridge mode. Then having it connected to my new untangle firewall, then the Untangle box connected to my Fritz!Box 7490 and using it for all the normal router functions.

Does this sound like the correct plan? I'd like to have ethernet and wife behind the firewall and this looks like the best option.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

gib

schoondoggy

Is the ISP provided router the Fritz!Box?

gibster

Is the ISP provided router the Fritz!Box?

Sorry for the delay. The Telstra provided router is a Technicolor TG799vac with custom firmware and SIP settings locked down. I'm planning on using the Fritz!Box after the Untangle box.This way all local hardwired and wifi internet traffic is filtered through the Untangle router.

Looking at their install documentation this should work as planned unless there are other suggestions.

gib

schoondoggy

Will you be able to turn off the WiFi and router functions in the Technicolor? Is there a DMZ port on it?

If you put the Fritz!Box after the Untangle, I think you will need to turn off the router functions in it, as you could run into double NAT issues. 

Do you have a separate switch in the network? Is the Fritz!Box your only WiFi source?

gibster

Will you be able to turn off the WiFi and router functions in the Technicolor? Is there a DMZ port on it?

If you put the Fritz!Box after the Untangle, I think you will need to turn off the router functions in it, as you could run into double NAT issues. 

Do you have a separate switch in the network? Is the Fritz!Box your only WiFi source?

Yes, all functions on the Technicolor can be turned off and it can be put in bridge mode or use port forwarding. 

The Untangle router functions your talking about turning off? I don't see an issue with that, I just want it to filter all traffic

I use a single port from the modem/router to go through a Netgear Prosafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch.

Fritz!Box will be the only wifi source

schoondoggy

Yes, all functions on the Technicolor can be turned off and it can be put in bridge mode or use port forwarding.

The Untangle router functions your talking about turning off? I don't see an issue with that, I just want it to filter all traffic

I use a single port from the modem/router to go through a Netgear Prosafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch.

Fritz!Box will be the only wifi source

Sorry about my grammar, leave everything on in the Untangle, turn off routing in the Fritz!box.

gibster

Sorry about my grammar, leave everything on in the Untangle, turn off routing in the Fritz!box.

So, theoretically then I could use the Untangle box (4 ethernet port box) as follows:

Port 1, incoming from Technicolor box

Port 2, outgoing to Prosafe Switch

Port 3, outgoing to Fritz!Box for wifi, and SIP

That sound about right?

Poppapete

That's it and have untangle and wifi in bridge mode.

schoondoggy

Port 1 & 2 are fine, but I would recommend skipping Port 3 and running everything from the switch.

Poppapete

Agreed