RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adriciu

Home Open-Mesh setup

Jason

FYI Open-Mesh has confirmed there's no requirement to ordering of SSIDs:

That article is a bit outdated. You can use any SSID you'd like, this is a remnant of our past firmware and dashboard which was hard-coded to have SSID1 as public and SSID2 as private.

pcdoc

The default out of the box is SSID 1 is the guest and 2-4 are private.  You can change these to whatever you want however like ITGeeks, I went with SSID 1 as my guest.  I seem to recall the early firmware that way but now it is up to you.

pcdoc

Here is where i heard about SSID1 being the "public": https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/202653544-Apple-TV-and-AirPlay.  This applies to me since I intend to have an Apple TV on the wired side.

In terms of connectivity - I am not passing wired devices through the APs.  One of them is an MR1750 the other an OM5P-AC.  Attached is a quick diagram with connectivity - basically all of my wired devices are on a switch - no VLANs are being used.

Just to clarify, only devices on the same wifi network that is bridged to your lan will work with airplay.  Your setup looks good and see no reason your network should go down in performance when you bridge.  Can you supply some settings screen shots (of course blocking critical information) to see if there is anything obvious?  This would be a good one to contact there support.  Yours is not setup much different than mine (see link below).

http://thedocsworld.net/wireless-network/

jmunguia

I contacted OM support about this a few days ago and have been chatting with one of their support folks.  They have not been helpful so that is whey I turned to these boards.  However, today OM actually made some changes to my network and turned on the bridging of SSID2 to my local network trying to fix this issue and immediately the performance problems returned until I went in and undid their changes.

What is interesting is they can go into my settings and make these changes - they did email me but did not wait for my consent - that is scary.

I think it may be time to try Eero or some other mesh technology to see if this is my problem or something specific to OM.

-T

itGeeks

Sorry, just curious. Is this a recommended best practice or a functionality requirement for Open-Mesh? Am trying to understand what functionality I'm missing now by having it "backward"?

Jason don't be sorry, This is how we learn. I would say just reverse what you have going on to comply with the OM standard. Not sure if it really matters if you have the settings setup the correct way for the type of network. If you wan't to fix your setup and set it up the way OM intended see my screen shots below for my guest network on SSID1.

Screen Shot OM SSID1-1.PNG

Screen Shot OM SSID1-2.PNG

Screen Shot OM SSID1-3.PNG

itGeeks

I contacted OM support about this a few days ago and have been chatting with one of their support folks.  They have not been helpful so that is whey I turned to these boards.  However, today OM actually made some changes to my network and turned on the bridging of SSID2 to my local network trying to fix this issue and immediately the performance problems returned until I went in and undid their changes.

What is interesting is they can go into my settings and make these changes - they did email me but did not wait for my consent - that is scary.

I think it may be time to try Eero or some other mesh technology to see if this is my problem or something specific to OM.

-T

Yes its a cloud service just like Luma so they have access to the settings.

1. What is happening with your performance? You say its not useable but not sure what you mean by this.

2. Have you had a chance to look at the new Netgear Orbi? Performance looks very impresive according to SNB, It does not support Eitherney backhaul at this time. The kit covers 4000 sqft and connects to the sattelight using a dedicated 5GHz radio with a link speed of 1.7 Gbps. Take a look at the SNB review here http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33022-mesh-mashup-redux-netgear-s-orbi-checks-in

pcdoc

-T

There are certainly many options out there but it really sounds like you have either a bad unit or an issue with an IP conflict possible when you bridge the lan.  Get them to send you a new unit if possible and investigate what IP your router is assigning. You may even what to assign a static IP that is clearly safe to rule out options possibly caused by your router.  Just some thoughts.

Jason

Thanks for sharing you OM Guest wireless settings. My only differences are that I'm using OpenDNS servers, have Band Steering disabled, have bandwidth throttling set to D/U 5/1 and have enabled time restrictions/schedule.

darton

and have enabled time restrictions/schedule.

This is in beta... and can cause issues in some situations.

to fix this issue and immediately the performance problems returned until I went in and undid their changes.

What do you mean by performance...works great for me any type of SSID arrangement...

OM isn't setup as a standard network router as speed isn't the sole focus - providing captive portal features for public access is. So having dozens of users running at say 5/1 rather than 5 at 50/10 is the goal.

In saying that the improvements keep coming so there features will better cater too more markets

jmunguia

In terms of performance what happens is lots of dropped frames.  I see ping failure rates of 90%+ between devices on my network (no matter if wired or wireless), web pages fail to load, I can't even start the speed test app, etc.  Obviously noticeable, in fact I have to use my phone via LTE to undo the bridge mode and hope that OM is able to make those changes back into my APs in face of the performance problems.

-Tony