RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adriciu

Home Open-Mesh setup

adriciu

I would like to post some questions I sent in PM to itGeeks:

>>>Hi itGeeks

I didn't want to hijack the Luma thread, but I do have some questions about the open-mesh solution you alluded to in one of your posts.

If I understand right I could link an MR1750 to the modem/router, and then have two or three more APs to create a mesh. From these APs (very possible OM2P-HS 300 Mbps Access Point) I could get wired ethernet to my desktop, VOIP, and data server.

Will the mesh network use the router as gateway, and preserve the LAN IP address subnet (it happens to be 192.168.1.254) and SSID, together with the existing password for the devices to connect to the internet? Based on what I read I can have 4 SSIDs, and I can change their name, and because there are a number of devices I have connected, I would rather not go and change everything on each of them.

Can I create an SSID for my son, with appropriate restrictions (time wise, and access to various sites, possibility to create a personal VPN)?

Can I open a post to access my data server from outside my LAN?

I am asking all these questions because to buy the whole system it will cost me about $500, which is very close to the cost of Eero.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize in advance for imposing on your time

Adriciu<<<

I do have a two level 3500 sqf house, and the guys from ATT installed the router at one end of the house. The WiFi signal becomes very weak towards the living and the kitchen. I cannot run wires (older house), and I don't have coax cable in the bedroom where the router is (actually the router is in a closet in the bedroom). Also I have several electric circuits.

My actual setup is: Modem/router -> Linksys router (wireless bridge) -> Netgear router (AP). I was able to have a powerline link between Linksys and NetGear, as they seem to be on the same electrical circuit. However, I have quite frequent problems with the wireless internet dropping, and I would like to find a more elegant solution. I thought Luma would be the answer, but it seems as there are problems with the security of the system, and the fact that I cannot configue Luma as AP, behind the firewall of my router.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Adriciu

pcdoc

I would like to post some questions I sent in PM to itGeeks:

>>>Hi itGeeks

I didn't want to hijack the Luma thread, but I do have some questions about the open-mesh solution you alluded to in one of your posts.

If I understand right I could link an MR1750 to the modem/router, and then have two or three more APs to create a mesh. From these APs (very possible OM2P-HS 300 Mbps Access Point) I could get wired ethernet to my desktop, VOIP, and data server.

Will the mesh network use the router as gateway, and preserve the LAN IP address subnet (it happens to be 192.168.1.254) and SSID, together with the existing password for the devices to connect to the internet? Based on what I read I can have 4 SSIDs, and I can change their name, and because there are a number of devices I have connected, I would rather not go and change everything on each of them.

Can I create an SSID for my son, with appropriate restrictions (time wise, and access to various sites, possibility to create a personal VPN)?

Can I open a post to access my data server from outside my LAN?

I am asking all these questions because to buy the whole system it will cost me about $500, which is very close to the cost of Eero.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize in advance for imposing on your time

Adriciu<<<

I do have a two level 3500 sqf house, and the guys from ATT installed the router at one end of the house. The WiFi signal becomes very weak towards the living and the kitchen. I cannot run wires (older house), and I don't have coax cable in the bedroom where the router is (actually the router is in a closet in the bedroom). Also I have several electric circuits.

My actual setup is: Modem/router -> Linksys router (wireless bridge) -> Netgear router (AP). I was able to have a powerline link between Linksys and NetGear, as they seem to be on the same electrical circuit. However, I have quite frequent problems with the wireless internet dropping, and I would like to find a more elegant solution. I thought Luma would be the answer, but it seems as there are problems with the security of the system, and the fact that I cannot configue Luma as AP, behind the firewall of my router.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Adriciu

Sorry about the delay in response.  Here are some inputs

Will the mesh network use the router as gateway, and preserve the LAN IP address subnet (it happens to be 192.168.1.254) and SSID, together with the existing password for the devices to connect to the internet? Based on what I read I can have 4 SSIDs, and I can change their name, and because there are a number of devices I have connected, I would rather not go and change everything on each of them.  -- Mostly No and depends on configuration.  I will not keep passwords other than what you program into into the OP.  If you use the bridge to lan option, it will use your router as DHCP and use that IP range.  SSID will be the same for all devices,  You will have to recreate passwords when you setup.

Can I create an SSID for my son, with appropriate restrictions (time wise, and access to various sites, possibility to create a personal VPN)?  - Yes, you can use a separate SSID for your son that is isolated from your network but OP does not have any filtering.  That will have to be done from your router.  As for the VPN, that will from your router or other solution.  Only devices that are connected to bridge to lan SSID will be attached to the VPN.

Can I open a post to access my data server from outside my LAN?  -- Nothing to do with OP and that is router function

Hope this helps.

Jason

Is anyone here using a VLAN with their Open-Mesh MR1750 Access Points?

I have 2 SSIDs setup. SSID 1 and SSID 2. SSID 1 is bridged so clients connected receive IPs from my DHCP server. However clients connected via SSID 2 have internet access but appear to be receiving their own DHCP IPs from the Open Mesh MR1750 itself. Clients connected via SSID 1 and SSID 2 cannot see one another.

If I go into CloudTrax and assign SSID 2 a VLAN ID of 2, clients connected to SSID 2 are immediately unable to access the internet.

I use Sophos UTM 9.4 but have never configured a VLAN before.

Poppapete

I looked into VLAN's a while back and came accross this:

"WILL VLAN HELP ME

No, unfortunately you've read some myths about VLANs. VLANs are for security and management of massive scale networks. They do absolutely nothing for performance and, in fact, cripple performance on your network by forcing communications to fall to routing even internally. VLANs are never for performance reasons. That is a function of real LANs... those with their own dedicated switching fabric. VLANs are one of those things in IT that are so misunderstood that the amount of myth around them is insane. There is no reason for a VLAN in your home unless you are doing it purely for lab reasons or, possibly, because you want a guest wireless network that has no way to access your home network.

If you are talking to someone who is using VLANs instead or QoS you are talking to someone very, very confused.

Also, I've never heard of a home network big enough to use QoS. Can you? Sure. Will it hurt? No. The question is, is it worth the effort. QoS only matters if your switch is saturated. If QoS is needed, VLANs are useless and hurting you. If you need QoS at home, consider upgrading your switch instead."

With the 3 SSID's you have enough control over guests and children except if they want to connect directly by Ethernet from the router or switch.  My VOIP is on a VLAN ( I think) which is auto configured by the switch when is detects VOIP on that port.  You can manually setup VLAN's on a decent (L2) switch.

Why do you have one in bridge mode and the other not?

darton

However clients connected via SSID 2 have internet access but appear to be receiving their own DHCP IPs from the Open Mesh MR1750 itself. Clients connected via SSID 1 and SSID 2 cannot see one another.

if you haven't set SSID2 to bridge, it uses the internal DHCP server. Which uses a captive portal software too control client access

if its not bridged a client cant see your upstream gateway or the vlan assignment

Jason

It only allows me to select a single SSID to bridge wired clients and one SSID to bridge SSID. How do you select multiple SSIDs?

pcdoc

It only allows me to select a single SSID to bridge wired clients and one SSID to bridge SSID. How do you select multiple SSIDs?

Correct, you can only bridge to one LAN at time and each SSID can be routed to different VLANs if that happens to help.  In my case as I have two physical networks, I use to AP, one for each network and it keeps things nice separated the way I like it. 

Jason

In my case, OM has advised me to create 2 SSIDs, one operating on 5 ghz band and the other on 2.4 ghz. They've indicated Band Steering is still faulty and in beta.

Am trying to figure out how to setup both SSIDs so they both bridge to the same network in CloudTrax. And both SSID 1 and SSID 2 each issue DHCP addresses from same range. Is it possible?

Once band steering works reliably this won't be necessary on my network.

pcdoc

In my case, OM has advised me to create 2 SSIDs, one operating on 5 ghz band and the other on 2.4 ghz. They've indicated Band Steering is still faulty and in beta.

Am trying to figure out how to setup both SSIDs so they both bridge to the same network in CloudTrax. And both SSID 1 and SSID 2 each issue DHCP addresses from same range. Is it possible?

Once band steering works reliably this won't be necessary on my network.

You should be able to create 2 SSID's with same name.  I would try that first.

Jason

Unfortunately, CloudTrax won't allow it. Insists that each SSID be unique.

I have confident OM will ultimately perfect Band Steering. However it's prominent with iOS clients that they will select the 2.4 ghz band over 5 ghz even within range and the speeds are significantly slower.

I currently have my wifi thermostats and irrigation controller connected to the SSID 2 (2.4 ghz) but when my iOS device is connected to SSID 1 (5 ghz), I connect use Apple HomeKit functionality for instance.