RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update Policy

Poppapete

It seems we get 3 update types. Important, recommended and optional.  I have my server set for Auto update which installs the important ones. I rarely even look at the others unless I have a problem.  What do others her do with server updates?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• Big Worm

• Poppapete

I never let any system auto update.  Download, yes, but install without research, never.  Not even a zero day.

same here, download yes, autoinstall no.
And for the recommended/optional ones I always check the KB's on those to see what's going on. Sometimes it's smaller things, but useful to install anyway.

Wow...you like to live dangerously.

I too, like to live dangerously. 

I also backup twice daily. 

Wow...you like to live dangerously.

It's not about living dangerously.  I have been messing with computers and servers for the past 20 years.  I can't remember a time I ever heard of an update breaking something so bad that it messed everything up.  Plus I don't have the time to sit there and research every update to see if it will break things.  Could it happen, yes.  But I trust the system and if something is messed up, I will fix it.

Glad you've never had an issue in your 20 years.  I know of three times in the last two years (out of my 30) that updates from Microsoft broke Enterprise systems, and I mean almost to the point of being non-usable. Neither do I have have time to research them all, that's why I rely upon blogs and forums to see what is happening with patches pushed from Microsoft that are tested against their "pristine environments".

Consumer grade systems are a different story  These are easily enough restored and I don't have to worry about service level agreements being adhered to for percentage of up time.

Glad you've never had an issue in your 20 years.  I know of three times in the last two years (out of my 30) that updates from Microsoft broke Enterprise systems, and I mean almost to the point of being non-usable. Neither do I have have time to research them all, that's why I rely upon blogs and forums to see what is happening with patches pushed from Microsoft that are tested against their "pristine environments".

Consumer grade systems are a different story  These are easily enough restored and I don't have to worry about service level agreements being adhered to for percentage of up time.

Not even talking about consumer grade systems.  

I've been bitten by the bad updates, recently actually.  

Last month. Installed just the normal updates, .... it didn't go well.