RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8TB Archive drives for storing my movies

rgreenpc

I need update my plex.storage and was thinking of running 4 of these drives (Possibly in a raid)

I've seen a lot of WD red talk but was wondering if anyone is using these.

Price point is great on them.

My rips currently only consume 5 TBs but was.wanting some breathing room.

Don't run these in a RAID.  "Bad things will happen". 

From what I've heard, they don't do well in RAID arrays, but that's not entirely surprising. They're meant for cold storage, not for RAID. 

Either you'd want to use these drives separately, or using a file based pooling solution (such as Drive Bender or StableBit DrivePool)

• Like 1

Don't run these in a RAID. "Bad things will happen".

From what I've heard, they don't do well in RAID arrays, but that's not entirely surprising. They're meant for cold storage, not for RAID.

Either you'd want to use these drives separately, or using a file based pooling solution (such as Drive Bender or StableBit DrivePool)

Should these drives not be used for serving movies to a plex server?

When I think cold storage I think write once read once when a catastrophic failure happens

Don't run these in a RAID.  "Bad things will happen". 

The 8TB version doesn't do well in RAID or just REDS in general?

The archive drives are Purple or AE, not Red. Reds are fine for RAID.

The archive drives are Purple or AE, not Red. Reds are fine for RAID.

That's what I thought.  I've got 4x3TB Reds in one box that have been running for 4 1/2 years now.

Should these drives not be used for serving movies to a plex server?

When I think cold storage I think write once read once when a catastrophic failure happens

They can be used for Plex/Emby/etc just fine.  Just as long as they're not being used in a RAID. 

See below.

The Seagate Archive drives specifically (or anything else using SMR). 

THe main reason is write performance. It's pretty atrocious and frequently stalls out (0b/s) when doing a lot of writing.  This can cause issues especially with hardware RAID.  Especially since RAID tends to be writing to the disks constantly. 

Also, IIRC, these drives have a lower lifetime write value than "standard" drives.  

Which definitely corresponds with the multiple reports of them dying after being in a RAID for 6-8 months..... 

That said, again for just storing files on it (outside of a RAID) these drives are fantastic.  The read speeds are very good (I do actually see 160-190MB/s). I have 10 of these drives in my system.  However, I am using StableBit DrivePool, and it's "SSD Optimizer" to bypass that whole "atrocious write performance(the SSD Optimizer writes new files to the SSDs and then moves the files out to the other drives). 

• Like 1

They can be used for Plex/Emby/etc just fine. Just as long as they're not being used in a RAID.

See below.

The Seagate Archive drives specifically (or anything else using SMR).

THe main reason is write performance. It's pretty atrocious and frequently stalls out (0b/s) when doing a lot of writing. This can cause issues especially with hardware RAID. Especially since RAID tends to be writing to the disks constantly.

Also, IIRC, these drives have a lower lifetime write value than "standard" drives.

Which definitely corresponds with the multiple reports of them dying after being in a RAID for 6-8 months.....

That said, again for just storing files on it (outside of a RAID) these drives are fantastic. The read speeds are very good (I do actually see 160-190MB/s). I have 10 of these drives in my system. However, I am using StableBit DrivePool, and it's "SSD Optimizer" to bypass that whole "atrocious write performance(the SSD Optimizer writes new files to the SSDs and then moves the files out to the other drives).

how do you like stablebit?

I keep leaning to a raid as I fear losing all my movies I spent eons ripping.

how do you like stablebit?

I keep leaning to a raid as I fear losing all my movies I spent eons ripping.

What product did you use to rip your DVD's?