RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
xbliss

Performance diff: J1800 vs J1900 vs N3050 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 3755U on Dual LAN NIC boxes?

xbliss
Performance diff: J1800 vs J1900 vs N3050 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 3755U on Dual LAN NIC boxes?

PS: Usage 1-3 VMs running Firewall/ UTM / Some Small utilities in VM - More inclined towards a ready Mini Box v/s the ITX Mobo

How/ do they/ would they compare? I did google and see some CPU benchmarking sites and the gap doesnt seem much - from what I can understand. 

Is there something I am not seeing? 

Also, would the RAM memory from one work on the other? forward or reverse compatibility? - if the Hz are take care of .. posted/ asked here? 

(Would voltage be an issue?) 

Edited by xbliss

itGeeks

PS: Usage 1-3 VMs running Firewall/ UTM / Some Small utilities in VM - More inclined towards a ready Mini Box v/s the ITX Mobo

How/ do they/ would they compare? I did google and see some CPU benchmarking sites and the gap doesnt seem much - from what I can understand. 

Is there something I am not seeing? 

Also, would the RAM memory from one work on the other? forward or reverse compatibility? - if the Hz are take care of .. posted/ asked here? 

(Would voltage be an issue?) 

Maybe I am getting old but what is it you want to do? If your saying you want to run up to 3 VM's at the same time I would say forget about it, If your saying you want to run router/UTM software then a j1900 will do very well for a home network. As for memory each board will have there own specs so you would need to look that info up. There is no such thing as on size fits all when talking memory. Look at the tested compatibility list of each board to see what has been tested to work.

What firewall/UTM are you thinking about running?

Edited by itGeeks

xbliss

Maybe I am getting old but what is it you want to do? If your saying you want to run up to 3 VM's at the same time I would say forget about it, If your saying you want to run router/UTM software then a j1900 will do very well for a home network. As for memory each board will have there own specs so you would need to look that info up. There is no such thing as on size fits all when talking memory. Look at the tested compatibility list of each board to see what has been tested to work.

Mostly - Sophos or Untangle (given the good will on forums) and maybe a Small VM for a Radius Server / WiFi Manager - Some tiny utilities if they dont affect performance and can help. 

xbliss

Intent is Router/ UTM software, but would like to run inside a baremetal VM - Hyper V/ 2012 R2 or ESXi, as VM/ VHD's give me easy MOVE portability. 

And since Sophos UTM home doesnt support WiFi, maybe a small / micro/ pico Router Distro what has a RADIUS server to handle Wireless Card & WiFi clients (that networks /virtual networks with Sophos. 

Al_Borges

My Homeserver is a J1900 based system -  and it does a great job of file serving and moderate transcoding , but I dont believe this

box would handle VM's  

the system is designed to be low power ( ~ 10 watt TDP) 

also, when I checked this out -  all the j1900 based systems I saw only had 2 memory slots and most boards only supported SO-DIMM, so memory upgrades are limited.

For what your stated design goals are, I would bypass your options and go for an I3 or even a AMD chip with a good mATX mobo