RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Luma Setup

adriciu

Do you want/need a un-manged or smart or managed switch? The price goes up accordingly. If you have never need to VLAN or LAG, you can probably live with an un-manged switch. I tend to stay with NetGear, DLink or HP as all have a lifetime warranty. As per itgeeks, look for a non-blocking backplane 32Gbps for a 16 port Gigabit switch.

I have never had a managed switch and may be creating complexity in buying one. If I bought the GS116E over the GS116 would it be a situation of set and forget and I wouldn't know the difference between the two

while giving myself room to grow. Or would I just be inviting trouble and stay with the GS116? 

I have never had a managed switch and may be creating complexity in buying one. If I bought the GS116E over the GS116 would it be a situation of set and forget and I wouldn't know the difference between the two

while giving myself room to grow. Or would I just be inviting trouble and stay with the GS116? 

Generally, the default settings on a managed switch will be the same as what a un-managed switch would be.

With NetGear the GS316 is the entry level 16 port un-managed, the GS116ev2 is their traditional Smart switch and the GSS116e is part of their Click switch line, different form factor. 

I need to do more research to better understand the need of IGMP snooping, but the GSS116e has a nice feature set for the price if you are OK with the form factor.

I feel your pain and want to let you know your not alone with getting off topic. From my understanding this is what happens when we post a lot.

I would say if you can afford the extra 40.00 diffrence from D-Link to Netgear just go with the Netgear, It wont disappoint you. That is of course we are compairing the un-manged switch aka dumb switch. It has 4.5 stars with 2353 reviews on Amazon as well as I use Netgear switches 100 percent of the time and I can tell you they perform very well. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS116NA-16-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00023DRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472415644&sr=8-1&keywords=GS116

$135 after rebate looks like a winner?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG1AD9A?tag=ds0233-20&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Edit: Found it on E-Bay an hour from me, open box like new for $53.88. Decision made. 

Yes I know about speedtest and speedofme. I'm asking about the upload/download info in the app. Mine is blank.

I have one connected to my cm and the other 2 are wireless. LAN speed is decent to my freenas server.

And I now have wifi signal out on the patio. So better coverage so far versus a single netgear nighthawk x6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All luma updated with 2016.08.12-2. Still no upload/download result. App is latest as I did not have the app before installing the devices. Speed not great today. Coverage about the same.

Generally, the default settings on a managed switch will be the same as what a un-managed switch would be.

With NetGear the GS316 is the entry level 16 port un-managed, the GS116ev2 is their traditional Smart switch and the GSS116e is part of their Click switch line, different form factor. 

I need to do more research to better understand the need of IGMP snooping, but the GSS116e has a nice feature set for the price if you are OK with the form factor.

The 'click switches' are nice and as you say have a nice small feature set making it a perfect fit for most of us here I would think. I have three of the 8 port model and they work very well. The 8 port model does not support 'teaming' but the 16 port does.

Like you schoon I needed to research IGMP snooping to better understand y we need or care about it and after a quick read it makes sense now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping

Edited by itGeeks

$135 after rebate looks like a winner?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG1AD9A?tag=ds0233-20&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Edit: Found it on E-Bay an hour from me, open box like new for $53.88. Decision made. 

Nice job, You will be very happy with it. Don't forget to check the firmware on it and update if needed, If the one your getting is v2 Its a 3 year old model so chances are good it may needed updating If its v1 it's even older, Nothing wrong with that just pointing it out. Click the link for the downloads and make sure you select the correct model / version from the dropdown menu on top for the correct firmware, Not downloading the firmware for the correct version of your switch could brick it. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/JGS524E.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

Edited by itGeeks

It is not a recommendation, it is a deal.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess I could of worded it a bit different. All I was trying to say is I trust you and the things you post though I realize that D-Link was not a direct recommendation to awr I would trust you would not post things known to be junk  :) I was just amazed at your timing for the D-Link deal that's all

Edited by itGeeks

All luma updated with 2016.08.12-2. Still no upload/download result. App is latest as I did not have the app before installing the devices. Speed not great today. Coverage about the same.

Could you please copy and past all the info about the firmware after clicking this link? http://192.168.55.1/version

There is more about the firmware then your posting so I can't tell if your really up to date, See below for my results-

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"

Also regarding the app not showing the speed it is possible you have a bad Luma but more testing is needed, Do you have another iOS or Android device you could install the Luma app on to see if the speeds show?

If you don't have another iOS or Android device to test with or you do have another device and testing shows the same thing then I would go into the Luma app and delete all the Luma's from your network and re-add them one by one y testing the app to see if the speeds show, If after adding the first Luma back to your does not show the speeds then delete it again and swap it out with one of your other Luma's and see if it fixes it. If all else fails contact support.

Edited by itGeeks