RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Luma Setup

adriciu

One notable spec you want to lookout for is what the total throughput the switch can handle, Just because a switch has all 1GB ports does not mean the switch can handle all those ports loaded up with devices each pulling 1GB each so as in the case with the 16 port Netgear I recommend it has very good specs, See below-

16 ports deliver up to 2000 Mbps of dedicated, non-blocking bandwidth per port

Just FYI, All switches are not created =

I received a generic landing page for all business switches with that link. A more definite link please. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• brgreene

• awraynor

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I understanding its only wired devices that loose connection, You have tested that when your wired devices loose connection you can at that time browse the internet from wireless devices?   2. He

Looking at the deals post by SchoonDoggy. Not a bad price for a 16-port switch. Since I"m not a network guru easier is better for me.

Any thoughts? You can put in that post to help me stay on topic. 

This will surly be like asking someone the Ford vs Chevy question, All I can do is tell you what I use and y I use it the rest will be up to you. There is nothing wrong with deciding to use other brands of switches it just I stick to what works for me, All I can tell you is my network runs top notch with what I use. I was a D-Link fanboy for a few years but I did have some problems that made me look elsewhere and so I have settled on Netgear for now.

The timing for schoons post of the D-Link in the forum deals I think is more then just good luck, Take a look at it and if it fits your needs go for it. You can always return it if it does not perform well. I trust schoons recommendations but that said not all products will fit everyone needs and mileage may vary.

Edited by itGeeks

This will surly be like asking someone the Ford vs Chevy question, All I can do is tell you what I use and y I use it the rest will be up to you. There is nothing wrong with deciding to use other brands of switches it just I stick to what works for me, All I can tell you is my network runs top notch with what I use. I was a D-Link fanboy for a few years but I did have some problems that made me look elsewhere and so I have settled on Netgear for now.

The timing for schoons post of the D-Link in the forum deals I think is more then just good luck, Take a look at it and if it fits your needs go for it. You can always return it if it does not perform well. I trust schoons recommendations but that said not all products will fit everyone needs and mileage may vary.

I would love to know what you use. If you want to comment further on the deal link that would be great. Don't want the mods getting on me again for getting off topic like I have a habit of doing. 

I received a generic landing page for all business switches with that link. A more definite link please. 

There are two other links that I posted in my response, You don't see them?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-16-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B00GG1AC7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472411202&sr=8-1&keywords=NETGEAR+ProSAFE+GS116E

Netgear also has a nice switch selector that you can use to narrow in on the best switch for your use case

http://selector.netg...ctSelector.aspx

If you don't want or need a smart managed switch and just want a 'dumb' switch and then I would recommend the Netgear GS116 but its double the cost of the D-Link schoon posted in the deals section. I need to take a look at the D-Link to see if I see anything alarming.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS116NA-16-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00023DRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472415644&sr=8-1&keywords=GS116

Edited by itGeeks

One notable spec you want to lookout for is what the total throughput the switch can handle, Just because a switch has all 1GB ports does not mean the switch can handle all those ports loaded up with devices each pulling 1GB each so as in the case with the 16 port Netgear I recommend it has very good specs, See below-

16 ports deliver up to 2000 Mbps of dedicated, non-blocking bandwidth per port

Just FYI, All switches are not created =

Sorry. Missed the second one. The Netgear selector led me to the ProSafe GS116. Would the 116E be worth twice the price in my case?

I have a Netgear switch now and have no issue sticking with them. I don't know the web management is worth it and might be too complicated for me.

No problem, We all getting old and the simple things in life get by us, LOL  :P

As for double the cost for the 116E that will depend on if you feel you need the extra features it offers, Only you can decide that. If you want insight into what is happening on your switch and if you want to check the health of your cabling, Ect. For me being able to look at this info and being able to setup teaming for my NAS and do VLANS as well as other things including keeping the firmware updated is well worth it for me but that's just me and everyone will not have the same needs or wants.

Just took a quick look at the D-Link schoon posted about in the forum deals and it turns out its also avalible on Amazon for the same price, See link below that includes Dave refiral link https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-16-Port-Gigabit-Switch-DGS-1016A/dp/B0092KZBCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472416524&sr=8-1&keywords=DGS-1016A

The ratings are high on Amazon 4.5 stars from 966 reviews so it looks really good as long as you don't need or want a smart switch, The only thing I can't find and maybe a concern on the specs is it don't say if it has none blocking bandwidth per port other then that I would say the price is great and if it fits your needs go for it, You can always return it if it does not perform well. 

Edited by itGeeks

I would love to know what you use. If you want to comment further on the deal link that would be great. Don't want the mods getting on me again for getting off topic like I have a habit of doing. 

I feel your pain and want to let you know your not alone with getting off topic. From my understanding this is what happens when we post a lot.

I would say if you can afford the extra 40.00 diffrence from D-Link to Netgear just go with the Netgear, It wont disappoint you. That is of course we are compairing the un-manged switch aka dumb switch. It has 4.5 stars with 2353 reviews on Amazon as well as I use Netgear switches 100 percent of the time and I can tell you they perform very well. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS116NA-16-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00023DRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472415644&sr=8-1&keywords=GS116

Edited by itGeeks

I feel your pain and want to let you know your not alone with getting off topic. From my understanding this is what happens when we post a lot.

I would say if you can afford the extra 40.00 diffrence from D-Link to Netgear just go with the Netgear, It wont disappoint you. That is of course we are compairing the un-manged switch aka dumb switch. It has 4.5 stars with 2353 reviews on Amazon as well as I use Netgear switches 100 percent of the time and I can tell you they perform very well. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS116NA-16-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00023DRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472415644&sr=8-1&keywords=GS116

The Netgear site doesn't make it easy. Is there a difference between the GS116E and the GSS116E other than the mounting system? Otherwise looking at the GS116E given it comes with free assistance ;)

schoondoggy

It is not a recommendation, it is a deal.

schoondoggy

Looking at the deals post by SchoonDoggy. Not a bad price for a 16-port switch. Since I"m not a network guru easier is better for me.

Any thoughts? You can put in that post to help me stay on topic. 

Do you want/need a un-manged or smart or managed switch? The price goes up accordingly. If you have never need to VLAN or LAG, you can probably live with an un-manged switch. I tend to stay with NetGear, DLink or HP as all have a lifetime warranty. As per itgeeks, look for a non-blocking backplane 32Gbps for a 16 port Gigabit switch.