RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Luma Setup

adriciu

Just a shot in the dark but besides doing the other things I recommended above try turning off 'igmp snooping' in the advanced setting on the Luma app and see if this fixes your dropped internet on your wired devices.

I am a bit confused, Did you mean to say your connected your laptop and sons xbox to your old Netgear "switch" and not 'router'?

I am on cable internet and only have cable modem connected to Luma.

The original setup was

Modem > Luma > TP- Link > All Wired Devices

New Setup

Modem > Luma > Netgear Switch > Laptop, XBox One, and TP-Link Switch > All Other Hardwired

This way I can see if we have an Internet problem with Luma or the TP-Link switch.

I turned off Igmp Snooping.

Good job, Don't forget to check the firmware on the new TP-Link switch and update if needed. Please report back after testing, I am doubtful the problem is your new switch but I guess its possible. Luma had problems with wired devices at launch but they pushed an update that should of fixed most of those problems but that stil does not mean Luma could have more wired device problems that need to be fixed...

Edited by itGeeks

Good job, Don't forget to check the firmware on the new TP-Link switch and update if needed. Please report back after testing, I am doubtful the problem is your new switch but I guess its possible. Luma had problems with wired devices at launch but they pushed an update that should of fixed most of those problems but that stil does not mean Luma could have more wired device problems that need to be fixed...

@itgeeks

What would you suggest for a good switch? Is TP-Link, Netgear others best? I have an 8-port switch and looking for around 12 to 16 ports. 

1. Did you check to make sure your new TP-Link switch had the latest firmware on it? http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-SG1024DE.html#Firmware

2. Is the TP-Link getting an IP address in the 192.168.55.x range? I would set a static DHCP address threw Luma for the switch.

1. TP-Link has latest firmware

2. TPL-Link address is 192.168.55.121. 

How would I set the address through Luma? Also the TP-Link Switch is capable of doing DHCP but from what I understand that would conflict with Luma?

DNS

I have notices I am getting a lot of "Resolving Address" messages at the bottom. Also some of the error messages I have received since yesterday indicate DNS issue. I know previously I had to add googles DNS servers on my LinkSys router. Is that possible with Luma?

I am Luma wireless now with no problems. 

None of my wired connections will work. All indicate DNS problems. Doesn't matter which switch they are connected to. I contacted Charter and they advise the modem is functioning correctly and there are not outages.

1. Wouldn't the DNS come from the internet provider by default? If I have DNS on wireless shouldn't I have DNS on hardwired? Is this a Luma problem or other network problem?

We need to back everything out to basic setup for trouble shootting.

1. What is the make/model of your ISP modem?

2. Turn off all the Luma's aka unplug power.

3. Disconnect the main Luma (hub) from the switch

4. Power on the main Luma (hub) only and wait for it to fully get online.

5. Shut the ISP modem down wait 30 seconds and power back on.

6. Plug a computer/laptop directly into the out port of the main Luma (hub)

7. Check for internet.

8. Report results from above.

@itgeeks

What would you suggest for a good switch? Is TP-Link, Netgear others best? I have an 8-port switch and looking for around 12 to 16 ports. 

I am a Netgear fanboy, I only use the business class switches in my networks https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

It sounds like your looking for an edge switch for your network, In that case I go for a 'web managed Plus' switch, This gives you some nice options and insight into your network as well as your able to check the health of your cables, Ect. An axsample of a 16 port though not cheap that I woud use if I did not need rack mount would be this https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-16-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B00GG1AC7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472411202&sr=8-1&keywords=NETGEAR+ProSAFE+GS116E

It also has lifetime warranty

I forget what model QNAP NAS you have but if it has more then 1 NIC you will be able to setup teaming on this switch to give you more then 1GB throughput. I don't know what exactly your after with features but even if you don't want a smart managed switch I would say stick to the business class of switches as we are not that average home user and demand a lot from our networks and Netgear ProSafe will not disappoint. Being able to login to the switch and see what is going on is a huge plus.

Netgear also has a nice switch selector that you can use to narrow in on the best switch for your use case

http://selector.netgear.com/productsearch/FormProductSelector.aspx

Edited by itGeeks

I am a Netgear fanboy, I only use the business class switches in my networks https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Looking at the deals post by SchoonDoggy. Not a bad price for a 16-port switch. Since I"m not a network guru easier is better for me.

Any thoughts? You can put in that post to help me stay on topic. 

One notable spec you want to lookout for is what the total throughput the switch can handle, Just because a switch has all 1GB ports does not mean the switch can handle all those ports loaded up with devices each pulling 1GB each so as in the case with the 16 port Netgear I recommend it has very good specs, See below-

16 ports deliver up to 2000 Mbps of dedicated, non-blocking bandwidth per port

Just FYI, All switches are not created =

Edited by itGeeks