RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Luma Setup

adriciu

I just setup my 3 Luma devices this morning. Mine are all at {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"0.9.14","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

How do you:

Perform the bandwidth testing?

See devices connected per Luma?

I'm getting @35 down and 22 up from phones and my mac. Paying for 300/30. Wifi explorer also shows a hidden network broadcasting. I've got the guest network turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2850 sq ft

i do have ethernet to the room where Luma 3 is but not in a convenient place in the room.  I thought the ethernet backhaul was not yet enabled on the Luma system??

Only a modem that I own.

Luma 2 speed test with ethernet is 21 down and 5 up

I checked all three and they all have the latest firmware

When I connect Luma 3 to ethernet, my speed is back to normal. Is ethernet backhaul enabled?  What exactly is ethernet backhaul?

I been thinking for over 3 hours how to respond to you so I don't turn my response into a book but I see no other way.

1. A 2850 sqft home single leval probably does not need more then 2 Luma's max but hey you got the three pack so y not use them right?

2. Ethernet backhaul has been active on Luma since launch however one forum member reported there was a bug in the original firmware that if you connected more then 1 node via Ethernet backhaul the whole system would revert to wireless mesh but that has since been fixed via a firmware update and working well according to the forum member that reported the bug.

3. You keep talking about Luma 3 but I hear very little about Luma 2 could you please tell me how Luma 2 is connected?

4. Both Luma 2 and 3 should be connect to Ethernet going into the IN port of both Luma's to use Ethernet backhaul, Is this how they are both connected?

5. Regarding you last question it's a complicated answer but in laymen s terms its meshing but one is wireless mesh and one is wired mesh, You always want to use Ethernet backhaul over wireless mesh at all cost if you can, Wireless mesh is solely for convince if you cant get a Ethernet cable to the aria where you want to install a node but at a cost trade-off of performance, When using wireless mesh you are going to loose 20-30 percent of your bandwidth at a minimum and maybe more the further out you go from the hub. Both Eero and the new Netgear Orbi product claim to change this performance hit by using a 3rd dedicated radio for the nodes aka endpoints.

6. It sounds like connecting your 3rd Luma to Ethernet has restored your speed so congratulations. I am still not sure y your performance was so bad using wireless mesh as there are many things that could cause this that may not even be Luma fault because it was wireless. 

Update:

Contacted Luma and all Lumas were updated. They advise it is the switch. Brand new switch. I have another switch I may try to see what happens. 

I can I set the two other Lumas to internet backhaul by connecting them to the switch? Does each one have to be reset? 

I just setup my 3 Luma devices this morning. Mine are all at {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"0.9.14","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

How do you:

I'm getting @35 down and 22 up from phones and my mac. Paying for 300/30. Wifi explorer also shows a hidden network broadcasting. I've got the guest network turned off.

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like your Luma's are not on the latest version yet as it is different then what I have, It may take some time to update. The latest firmware I have posted below. 

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284

As for testing there is LAN testing and internet testing and they shoud both be done to rate the performance of your network, For internet testing I use speedtest.net and for LAN testing there are multiple options depending on device you want to test with.

How do you:

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like your Luma's are not on the latest version yet as it is different then what I have, It may take some time to update. The latest firmware I have posted below. 

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284

As for testing there is LAN testing and internet testing and they should both be done to rate the performance of your network, For internet testing I use speedtest.net and for LAN testing there are multiple options depending on device you want to test with.

How are all your Luma's connected?

Update:

Contacted Luma and all Lumas were updated. They advise it is the switch. Brand new switch. I have another switch I may try to see what happens. 

I can I set the two other Lumas to internet backhaul by connecting them to the switch? Does each one have to be reset? 

That is a question for Luma support.

1. How did Luma deter man your brand new switch was at fault?

2. What is the make and model of your switch?

Edited by itGeeks

Yes I know about speedtest and speedofme. I'm asking about the upload/download info in the app. Mine is blank.

I have one connected to my cm and the other 2 are wireless. LAN speed is decent to my freenas server.

And I now have wifi signal out on the patio. So better coverage so far versus a single netgear nighthawk x6.

I put my old Net Gear switch between Luma and the TP LINK switch. I connect my laptop and my son's xbox to the net gear router. We will see if the problem goes away. These are the two most used hardwired devices.

Yes I know about speedtest and speedofme. I'm asking about the upload/download info in the app. Mine is blank.

I have one connected to my cm and the other 2 are wireless. LAN speed is decent to my freenas server.

And I now have wifi signal out on the patio. So better coverage so far versus a single netgear nighthawk x6.

1. Are you sure you have the latest iOS Luma app? Go into your app store and make sure you have the latest version.

2. Has your Luma's updated yet? What you posted yesterday is not the latest, See below for my version---

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.12-2","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"

3. If your Luma's has not updated I would contacted support today and ask them to push the latest firmware and see if the fixes your problems.

Edited by itGeeks

1. Because I had no problem with WiFi

2. TP-Link SG-1024DE. Easy Smart Switch. Was installed new at the time I installed Luma.

1. Did you check to make sure your new TP-Link switch had the latest firmware on it? http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-SG1024DE.html#Firmware

2. Is the TP-Link getting an IP address in the 192.168.55.x range? I would set a static DHCP address threw Luma for the switch.

Edited by itGeeks

I put my old Net Gear switch between Luma and the TP LINK switch. I connect my laptop and my son's xbox to the net gear router. We will see if the problem goes away. These are the two most used hardwired devices.

I am a bit confused, Did you mean to say your connected your laptop and sons xbox to your old Netgear "switch" and not 'router'?