RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Luma Setup

adriciu

Hi everybody

It is my first time posting on this site, and I hope I didn't jump on a very specialized discussion, where I would be quite a newbie. I ordered and received (but not installed yet) a 3 pack Luma.

My current configuration is:

1 ATT modem/router

1 Linksys WRT 320N modem which acts as a wireless bridge, getting the signal from the ATT router. Some wired connections for Roku, TV, Kody, phone line

1 Netgear R7000 modem acting also as a wireless bridge, getting the signal from Linksys.Some wired connections for desktop, NAS

The reason for this setup is the location of the modem, on the extreme side of the house.

I wanted to install Luma, to be able to create a mesh network, with two gigabit switches to allow for wired connections for the desktop, for phone line, and for a data server.

I am quite concerned about the rivacy of the network, and about the firewall.

I would like to know if I can install Luma behind the firewall created by the the ATT router.

Thank you

Adriciu

Edited by HSS-Dave
Moved to new topic

Yes, you can though you'll end up with a double NAT which may or may not be a big deal depending on your usage and devices. Luma does not currently have an AP mode so you would not be able to disable Luna's own router capabilities. Using the switches off of the Luma should work fine though.

Hi everybody

It is my first time posting on this site, and I hope I didn't jump on a very specialized discussion, where I would be quite a newbie. I ordered and received (but not installed yet) a 3 pack Luma.

My current configuration is:

1 ATT modem/router

1 Linksys WRT 320N modem which acts as a wireless bridge, getting the signal from the ATT router. Some wired connections for Roku, TV, Kody, phone line

1 Netgear R7000 modem acting also as a wireless bridge, getting the signal from Linksys.Some wired connections for desktop, NAS

The reason for this setup is the location of the modem, on the extreme side of the house.

I wanted to install Luma, to be able to create a mesh network, with two gigabit switches to allow for wired connections for the desktop, for phone line, and for a data server.

I am quite concerned about the rivacy of the network, and about the firewall.

I would like to know if I can install Luma behind the firewall created by the the ATT router.

Thank you

Adriciu

Welcome to the forums!

When you say "phone lines" I assume your talking voice over IP aka VoIP?

Just to add to what Jose said, Luma has said they are working on allowing it to be installed in 'bridge mode' but there is no ETA. Luma will create a 2nd network as it stand now. If your strictly looking for a WAP mesh solution that that can be installed and play nice with your existing router then there are better options right now. Both Eero and according to Ubiquiti there new product called AmpliFi can be setup in 'bridge mode' https://www.amplifi.com/

There is also Open-Mesh that some of us forum members use and love. http://www.open-mesh.com/

I guess what I am trying to say is Luma is not your answer for what you want to do, Not only can't you install Luma in 'bridge mode' but there is still no advanced menu that will allow port forwarding, DHCP reservation so we are unable to host any services behind Luma. I feel your pain and your concerns about the Luma firewall, It is not a Stealth firewall and it lacks (SPI) so it seems very basic and below standards of what other off the shelf consumer router have supported for years. Sorry.

Edited by itGeeks

Thank you for the replies.

The reason for the setup I have right now is the fact that I cannot run CAT wires through the house (it is an older house), so the only solution is to go wireless, and I really wanted to use a mesh solution, thus using Luma

Thank you for the replies.

The reason for the setup I have right now is the fact that I cannot run CAT wires through the house (it is an older house), so the only solution is to go wireless, and I really wanted to use a mesh solution, thus using Luma

Do you have COAX running to each room for cable TV?

Unfortunately no, I have only one going to the living room. I will try to install Luma, and I will see how everything works with 2 networks. Do you know how secure this Luma network will be for access from outside the house?

Thank you

Unfortunately no, I have only one going to the living room. I will try to install Luma, and I will see how everything works with 2 networks. Do you know how secure this Luma network will be for access from outside the house?

Thank you

Security is going to be debatable, Personally I am not happy with the direction any of the home mesh products has gone with security, It seem very basic at best. That said Eero also does not seem to have a Stealth firewall either and remains to be reported if it has a SPI firewall. Products without SPI and or Stealth firewall is extremely weak at best so no I am not comfortable with these products. Ubiquiti has reported they do support SPI on there new product AmpliFi so if this is true they have the edge on firewall security. It just floors me that protection like this seems to be very lacking when many products you can purchase for sub 100.00 has had for years. Right now my vote goes to Ubiquiti for taking the extra step in giving us SPI on there firewall. Bottom line is Luma/Eero take security as not important. I wish someone could prov me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to this forum (2nd Post). I am generally a novice at home networking but I can usually figure things out by reading forums such as this. Luma has been setup in my home for about a month and would like some advice on my setup.

Currently Luma is my router and handles my wifi. I have three units with the main unit connect to a 24 port switch. Luma replaced my  previous setup which was two LinkSys N Routers (EA4500 & EA3000) with one set as an access point. House is wired with CAT5 in each room. 

Wifi - No problems. Great coverage and much better speed than before.

Hardwired - At times internet connection is lost for 30 to 90 seconds. It comes back but gone long enough for computer to indicate no service. Tends to happen when I have my laptop wired and my son is playing his Xbox One (Other devices may also be connected). When it starts it happens over and over again every few minutes. It is almost like the Luma router can't keep up. Connection lost happens on all wired devices (laptop and xbox loses connection).

From what I understand Luma doesn't have a mode that allows me to it for Wifi only and my EA4500 as the router. Have read in some of the other posts about setting up a DMZ for the Luma. From what I understand this would allow me to use Luma for Wifi and my EA4500 as the router. Not sure how to do this but should be able to figure out if this is the way to go. 

Luma just released a new firmware that adds more features such as port forwarding. Would any of these help with the hardwired problems?

I would appreciate any advice. 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to this forum (2nd Post). I am generally a novice at home networking but I can usually figure things out by reading forums such as this. Luma has been setup in my home for about a month and would like some advice on my setup.

Currently Luma is my router and handles my wifi. I have three units with the main unit connect to a 24 port switch. Luma replaced my  previous setup which was two LinkSys N Routers (EA4500 & EA3000) with one set as an access point. House is wired with CAT5 in each room. 

Hardwired - At times internet connection is lost for 30 to 90 seconds. It comes back but gone long enough for computer to indicate no service. Tends to happen when I have my laptop wired and my son is playing his Xbox One (Other devices may also be connected). When it starts it happens over and over again every few minutes. It is almost like the Luma router can't keep up. Connection lost happens on all wired devices (laptop and xbox loses connection).

From what I understand Luma doesn't have a mode that allows me to it for Wifi only and my EA4500 as the router. Have read in some of the other posts about setting up a DMZ for the Luma. From what I understand this would allow me to use Luma for Wifi and my EA4500 as the router. Not sure how to do this but should be able to figure out if this is the way to go. 

Luma just released a new firmware that adds more features such as port forwarding. Would any of these help with the hardwired problems?

Thanks

Am I understanding its only wired devices that loose connection, You have tested that when your wired devices loose connection you can at that time browse the internet from wireless devices?

2. Hew is your service provider?

3. What is your internet speed your paying for both up/down?

4. Have you run a speed test to make sure your getting your full speeds behind Luma?

5. Did your ISP provide a modem only or is it a modem/wireless router combo?

6. Please provide me the exact setup/wiring starting with Luma 1, Then Luma 2, Then Luma 3

7. What is your default Luma filtering policy set to?

8. Did you setup any web filters for any devices?

9. How many gaming consoles are in your house?

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Currently Luma is my router and handles my wifi. I have three units with the main unit connect to a 24 port switch. Luma replaced my previous setup which was two LinkSys N Routers (EA4500 & EA3000) with one set as an access point. House is wired with CAT5 in each room.

Thanks

Have you talked to Luma support? Has your Luma gotten the latest firmware update? The update had fixes for some switch related problems. Why would you want to use your old router?