RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS 304

itGeeks

Like you Dave lights out on my Microsoft servers in favor of Synology NAS, Meets my needs well with less problems then I had with the Microsoft camp. Things could of changed now with the new CEO because god knows Windows 10 is the best OS to come out of Redmond in a long time, That said till my needs change I will stick to what works best for me now. Great choice on the CyberPower purchase, I have a bunch of the 850VA and they work great.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Attempted to keep my home server running as long as possible.  I finally shut the server down this weekend after the Windows 10 Anniversary update.  Until the latest update, I was able to at least use the server as a storage location (not backup) for our two surface pro 4s.  At this point, the cost vs any type of benefit ratio is a major joke.  

Since I still have a functioning box with working drives, I would love for Microsoft to provide an affordable version of Server 2016 which I can use.  If they do not, I have promised myself to make an intelligent decision with regard to a NAS and a "permanent" cloud storage option.

In the mean time, I would like to hear any information about Server 2016 which might apply to the home user, and more discussions about which NAS and cloud storage provider to choose.  

As a side issue, I miss your surface discussions.

• Like 1

Attempted to keep my home server running as long as possible.  I finally shut the server down this weekend after the Windows 10 Anniversary update.  Until the latest update, I was able to at least use the server as a storage location (not backup) for our two surface pro 4s.  At this point, the cost vs any type of benefit ratio is a major joke.  

Since I still have a functioning box with working drives, I would love for Microsoft to provide an affordable version of Server 2016 which I can use.  If they do not, I have promised myself to make an intelligent decision with regard to a NAS and a "permanent" cloud storage option.

In the mean time, I would like to hear any information about Server 2016 which might apply to the home user, and more discussions about which NAS and cloud storage provider to choose.  

As a side issue, I miss your surface discussions.

Microsoft has given up on the home user and frankly other companies do it much better. Take a look at my favorite Synology NAS and free yourself of the aggravation. I made the switch over 2 years ago and the only thing I regret is I should of done it sooner. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by itGeeks

I'm still running WHS 2011 for my bare metal restores, and using it with DrivePool, but at this point, I don't see it ever moving to anything beyond that.

I moved all my media to unRaid 2 years ago, and it's been rock stable.  I loved the fact that I could mix and match drive sizes with unRaid, like I had done with my WHS v1 and v2.

I was using a Synology for my documents and pictures, but have moved back to WHS 2011 for one reason.  Every time I turned around backing up to Crash Plan would break.  Just got tired of trying to fix it.  On WHS 2011 it just works.  Now if a native Crash Plan client came out I would probably switch back.  I have thought about using a different NAS that has native support, but since I maintain the 2011 box to bring all my recorded TV together, it does not make much since to spend more money.

I've been running CrashPlan on my WHS 2011 for years. Never breaks. Just works. I agree with the sentiment that it would need to be just as reliable on another platform before I would want to move.

I'm still running WHS 2011 for my bare metal restores, and using it with DrivePool, but at this point, I don't see it ever moving to anything beyond that.

I moved all my media to unRaid 2 years ago, and it's been rock stable.  I loved the fact that I could mix and match drive sizes with unRaid, like I had done with my WHS v1 and v2.

OK I have been wanting to comment on some of these post for a few days now but work has been busy so I was unable to. First I find it flooring that anyone would choose their server platform on the sheer fact that a program like CrashPlan wont run on it, Now don't get me wrong backup is very important but there are other options. @mrmarkfr I hate to blow up your spot but the fact you seem to be running WHS 2011 purely for bare metal restores will disappoint you when you go to restore your systems as I have dealt with and is the reason I no longer use Microsoft server products for this. I have had more fail restores using Microsoft WHS 2011, WSE 2012 then I care to think about so I have moved on to bigger and better things. When was the last time you tested a bare metal restore using WHS 2011? Did you try doing a bare metal restore to a system running a UEFI BIOS? Good luck with that one. I have contacted CrashPlan and they are not interested in supporting NAS devices in any shape or form so don't hold your breath for that but there are many other options for NAS devices now. Synology just announced they now support Amazon Drive as a backup target and that's great news, Its not expensive and its very reliable. For me the Synology NAS has way more to offer then any Microsoft server product with a lot less headache that I will never ever look back. Just my 2 cents

Edited by itGeeks

OK I have been wanting to comment on some of these post for a few days now but work has been busy so I was unable to. First I find it flooring that anyone would choose their server platform on the sheer fact that a program like CrashPlan wont run on it, Now don't get me wrong backup is very important but there are other options. @mrmarkfr I hate to blow up your spot but the fact you seem to be running WHS 2011 purely for bare metal restores will disappoint you when you go to restore your systems as I have dealt with and is the reason I no longer use Microsoft server products for this. I have had more fail restores using Microsoft WHS 2011, WSE 2012 then I care to think about so I have moved on to bigger and better things. When was the last time you tested a bare metal restore using WHS 2011? Did you try doing a bare metal restore to a system running a UEFI BIOS? Good luck with that one. I have contacted CrashPlan and they are not interested in supporting NAS devices in any shape or form so don't hold your breath for that but there are many other options for NAS devices now. Synology just announced they now support Amazon Drive as a backup target and that's great news, Its not expensive and its very reliable. For me the Synology NAS has way more to offer then any Microsoft server product with a lot less headache that I will never ever look back. Just my 2 cents

Agree on the 2011 part. I run mine basically as a DVD storage target. For restores it has failed as often as not. I would never trust it completely.

I must be lucky(knock on wood), I've done 3-4 restores with 2011, and a couple with V1, all worked fine.  I've used it for failed hard drives, virus rollbacks, and the daily backups are great when I need to return a work laptop to replace it with a new one, and I forget to copy some files.  To each their own, for me right now, my mix of WHS2011 and unRaid works.

• Like 1

Luckily I haven't borked a Windows install in a while. Well one that system restore wouldn't recover anyway.

Last time I tried to restore some files from a backup it failed miserably.