RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
alex1002

Cloud questions

alex1002

Good day,

I am trying to understand why so many Business are so crazy about moving to the cloud. I looked at azure for one of my clients and running a few vms in there would be a few thousands a month. Of course they were against it. Not sure why so many companies and iT directors are pushing in that directions.

I may be totally crazy here. But I honestly don't see it so easy due to cost. And also it's slow. Azure seems incredible slow to me.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

There are a number of reasons.   

Because a lot of MSP's push it.  Not only because it means that don't have to have "boots on the ground" at that company, but because i'm sure they get kick backs too.  

Also, the upfront costs of servers required for a lot of businesses may be very expensive (depending on the size, $10k-100k, easily).  Additionally, you have to pay for electricity, and possibly cooling.  Additionally, there needs to be IT staff on hand.  

That's a lot of money, real quick. 

The running joke is: 

IT sits around all day doing nothing (preventative maintenance), why do we pay them for? 

it's broken and nothing is working.  What are we paying IT for, if they're job is to stop this. 

So, a monthly fee may see cheaper than all of the upkeep to run your own servers.  However,  you're quite right,  in most cases (not counting SOHO or very small businesses), the cost over time can be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to host it in the cloud. 

And also it's slow. Azure seems incredible slow to me.

What's your connection speed (up and down)? 

Doesn't really matter... but that's another monthly cost: bandwidth.  And as a business, you're likely going to have very good connection speeds, which is going to cost you. 

If you really want to see examples of this or the vitrol that a lot of people have, check out reddit's /r/sysadmin. 

oj88

Another thing is the impact on tax. Subscription services are OPEX and hence, non-taxable.

So, lower tax, lower power and cooling, essentially zero hardware maintenance and minimal IT staff.

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

Another thing is the impact on tax. Subscription services are OPEX and hence, non-taxable.

So, lower tax, lower power and cooling, essentially zero hardware maintenance and minimal IT staff.

This is a big one for many of my smaller clients. Real server hardware is expensive and a significant CAPEX, OPEX is easier to justify. What is slowing migration to cloud services in my local is crappy internet connections for many smaller companies and larger ones especially due to my primary vertical being what it is, data integrity and security is a big concern, making it beneficial and easier to maintain the servers in-house at this point.

Having said that for most clients that use to run mail internally we have now pushed that out to Office365 systems, this is one good use of a cloud resource. We have also explored putting some of our client software into the cloud as a remote app, simply because the software vendor is a pain to deal with and it easier to licence it to a remote server than it is to deal with the vendor. Some other software at other clients that is shared between departments at differing remote locals is also being looked at as for possible Azure RemoteApp virtualization. AzuerAD is looking good for a couple of clients as well, but that is further down the track.