RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

trouble installing win7 on gen8 g1610t

ayetest2

Hello everyone,

I have a gen8 g1610t that i'm trying to install windows 7 to. I have a WD red 3TB drive installed in bay 1 and have created a raid 0 array consisting of a 1tb partition. I've connected an external dvd drive with win7 disc and loaded the b120i drivers (cp027773.exe) on a usb drive.

It goes through the win7 installation fine - it reaches 100% and reboots but after rebooting and reaching the 'starting windows' screen it doesn't go any further and reboots back to bios loading. Is anyone able to provide any advice on how to fix this? I've tried deleting and recreating the array then installing win7 again but I run into the same problem.

Thanks!

Are you planning on using the B120i for RAID on other drives? Are you planning to ever boot from the ODD SATA port? If not I would turn off the B120i and use AHCI. During reboot have you removed the USB drive and the DVD?

Hi schoondoggy,

Are you planning on using the B120i for RAID on other drives?

Yes, I plan to fill in the other 3 bays with drives later on.

Are you planning to ever boot from the ODD SATA port? If not I would turn off the B120i and use AHCI.

Ideally, I'd like to run the OS off an SSD (through the ODD SATA port) but at the moment I'm not able to acquire one and the only drive I have at the moment is the 3TB WD Red drive (which should suffice as my main aim is to get the gen8 up and running).

During reboot have you removed the USB drive and the DVD?

Yes, I have removed the USB drive and DVD (the only devices that are plugged in are the monitor, keyboard and mouse).

Edited by ayetest2

I would set the controller to AHCI to see if it will boot or boot to the install dvd and go to the repair option. On the USB drive that you had the B120i driver on, did you extract the drivers from the exe file?

I would set the controller to AHCI to see if it will boot

I deleted the array and set the controller to AHCI mode in the bios and it worked! Windows installed and was able to boot into windows. Thanks schoondoggy.

On the USB drive that you had the B120i driver on, did you extract the drivers from the exe file?

Yes, I extracted the .exe with 7-zip.

I'm fairly new to servers and everything that goes with them (including the concept of RAID). If I wanted to enable RAID, how would I go about it? Would I have to re-enable it in the BIOS? I'd imagine this would erase the current set up I have?

Right now I'm stuck with the question of why did I run into trouble installing windows with RAID enabled in BIOS?

I could enter into the installation of windows - it would install itself (copying/installing files %) it would get to 100% and then reboot to continue onto the next stage of the installation (which I believe is 'installing updates' or 'finalising installation') but as soon as the 'starting windows' screen came up right after BIOS, it would reboot and go back to BIOS start up.