RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Massive lag in Lubunto when moving windows around

ThePoulsen

Hi All

I just received my ms gen8 in the mail a few days ago, It is a celeron model with 4gb ram

Using the on-board graphics card i have noticed a major issue.

whenever I try to move a window around on the screen it lags (just moving a terminal across the screen can take up to 30 seconds and happens in very small increments, locking the whole computer up in the process)

I have tried moving around the task mgr window, and found that cpu usage goes from around 1% to 50-80% while this lag takes place.

Is this just a result of the matrox gpu being truly awful or am I missing something fundamental in my setup?

I have made sure that both on-board and optional video cards are enabled in the BIOS

if I run "lshw -c video" I get the following information:

*-display UNCLAIMED     
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: MGA G200EH
       vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
       physical id: 0.1
       bus info: [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/*  */</script>:01:00.1
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f9000000-f9ffffff memory:fbee0000-fbee3fff memory:fb000000-fb7fffff

Purely guessing as my Linux knowledge is not so good, but it sounds like driver issue. It looks like HPE Ubuntu support started and ended with 12.04.1. Your install found the controller correctly, Matrix G200EH, but display unclaimed does not sound good.

Hmm,,, other HPE servers support Ubuntu 16.04 and the Matrox video is embedded in iLo. Can you back rev the video driver?

Thank you

Forcing vega drivers did the trick.

I was planning on installing an extra gpu in this, but now i can hold off a bit until i get the second monitor :)