RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Remote Access Suddenly Broken

bondisdead

Hello. I have google around, and not been successful in finding a solution. I have been using the Remote Access feature of WHS 2011 for quite some time, along with the Awieco WOL add-in, to wake up a PC at home, then remote desktop into that machine. Unfortunately, this recently stopped working. If I go to Server Settings, then Remote Web Access, it reports "The router is not working".

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router with the latest firmware, with UPNP enabled. However, I have never gotten UPNP to work, so port-forwarding is manually configured as follows:

HTTPS 443 TCP -> Router fixed IP address

RPD 4125 TCP -> Router fixed IP address

HTTP Server 80 TCP -> Router fixed IP address

If I go into the Remote Web Access, turn it off, then Turn it on again, it will attempt to configure things. I get the following two errors:

1) Port forwarding is not configured correctly on the router

2) Remote Web Access to your server is blocked

I tried another ASUS router, with upnp and with manual port-forwarding, and this made no difference. I verified that the fixed ip address for the router has not changed (192.168.1.200). And as I said, nothing changed at all with the router over the last two weeks.

I contacted TimeWarnerCable to insure that nothing has changed, and the said that nothing has changed, and they have not blocked any ports from being forwarded (a message about checking with ISP was with issue #2 above).

I would like to say that nothing changed prior to this broken remote access, but that is not true. The 60GB partition on the C: OS drive was getting full, so I deleted the D: partition, and extended the C: partition to fill the entire 160GB HDD. I have done this on two different WHS 2011 builds w/out issue. I also had issues with CrashPlan not running, so I uninstalled it, then re-installed. And finally, I uninstalled the MyMovies add-in, and installed the Awieco WOL. The two add-in's were not compatible, so with the recent upgrade to Windows 10, i no longer needed MyMovies.

I have been rebooting, uninstalling apps, etc, to no avail. I uninstalled both WOL and CrashPlan, but that made no difference. I tried the second router, as mentioned above. Tried with UPNP enabled/disabled, but no success. I am at my wits end!! If I cannot get this to work, I guess I will need to find an alternate way to WOL my local machines and RemoteDesktop into them.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Edited by bondisdead

Doh! I see there is a Remote Access category. Mods, can you accept my apologies and please move to the appropriate section?

You do not want UPnP working.  IT is a huge security risk.  Can you ping the server form inside your LAN just to verify the server IP did not change?  Forget the error being generated from the Auto Proivisioing Tool for Remote Web Access.  If you are 100% sure of the Server IP address, and the ports are forwarded to that address, it is working.

Sounds like you need to do another install after reading the next to the last paragraph..  Leave the partitions alone.

First off, thanks for the response. You are implying that I need to re-install WHS 2011 OS?! Before going to that drastic extreme, I want to rule out everything else first!! :-)

I can indeed ping my servers IP address of 192.168.1.200.

I turned off UPNP, as you suggested, and manually configured PLEX and WHS Remote access port forwarding in the router. PLEX stil works, so I know that some port forwarding works. I then found the following web-site, which tests port forwarding: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I tested PLEX (32400), HTTPS (443), HTTP Server (80) and RDP (4125), and they were all open *except* for 4125! It reports back that 4125 is closed. I have verified that all settings are correct in my router's port forwarding page. 

When that utility is checking port-forwarding, could it be that the server is blocking the RDP from completing? I can open the console on any computer in my LAN, so RDP is not broken. Not sure how deleting the partition could have blocked 4125 RDP??

I'm saying you should have never deleted that D partition.  The OS partitions that Drive for a specific reason.  Some routers don't allow RDP within the LAN, mostly cheaper routers.  Always test it from outside your LAN.

For the D: partition, I had already re-located all of the folders elsewhere via the console. And as I said, this was not an issue on two different WHS 2011 systems. There was no data on that drive that I could see was server related, other than "Server Folders". I did clone the original C/D partitioned HDD to another HDD, prior to all of this. So if all else fails, I can go back to that setup.

For checking the port-forwarding, I did this from both inside and outside of my WAN (used cell phone connected to 4G LTE). In both cases, the tool reports that port 4125 is not being forwarded. However, with all that said, I then tried using this same utility on another WHS 2011 installation which has remote access working, and port 4125 is also reported as being blocked. So, back to square one.

Yup. I tried both TCP and Both (TCP/UDP). I suppose I shoudl try a non-ASUS router, but just not sure why things went awry.