RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Gen8 Heatsink/Heatpipe in the UK

Trig0r

Just asked my normal supplier to see if they can get these yet, he's come back with £97 5/7day lead time..

Have asked him to double check, if they are actaully available I'll be getting one..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trig0r

• gordan

• einsteinagogo

• KungFuSpaghetti

This is great news!  Still very pricey for a heatsink, but think that's a cost I can swallow up as it means I don't have to reboot and change the exhaust fan speed to max every time I want to stick GTA on!  What are the chances of them doing a discounted group buy?

Pricey yes, but certainly cheaper than getting from the Oz (only place someone had actually got hands on last time I looked) and paying shipping, they were coming in at close to £200 iirc..

Yeah totally agree, I think it's an upgrade I will certainly do as I have the i3-3240 and the extra cooling will come in handy when the 750ti is max'd out generating a load of heat inside the case.  For under £100 it's a no brainer!

True, but what other options are there in terms of CPU cooling?  The mounting point layouts are non standard so choice is limited if you want to have a passive cooled system.  I paid £109 for my server, but I'm justifying it with the fact that's an offer price + cash back.  To buy a Gen8 with i3-3240 (which includes the heatsink) is £590 from Insight, so to me it's a worthwhile spend.

I paid a little over £100 for my server, and about another £300 for an E3-1290v2. Running with the stock heatsink and a bit of cardboard and duct tape ducting, and stays well within Intel's thermal spec documentation even while running prime95. And that CPU is rated for nearly 3x the TDP that the standard heatsink is allegedly good for.

Edited by gordan

I doubt the i3-3240 needs the new heatsink being 22nm and 2core 4 thread @ 3.4ghz

it should pull well under 30w on a prime95 load

It may well have a 55w tdp that hp has to follow

but the reality is that it will pull half of that under full load

anyone considering this heatsink should be running a 1230v2 or faster

a £30 cpu with a £100 heatsink is a bit poinless also..

but looking forwards to pictures if you get one ofc..

and first dibs if you decide to sell it next year £50 sounds good :P

Edited by Shonk

I think the only reason I need one of these is because my GPU (MSI 750ti) at full load is generating a load of heat inside the case, that's the only time I ever get heat issues.  If the CPU is a full load and GPU is sat idle then I don't have any issues.