RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Boopop

Slow Storage Space Performance in Windows 10

Boopop

Both me and my dad have a Dell Poweredge T20 running Windows 10. Mine has a 120GB SSD, and 2 6TB WD Red drives, whereas his has an SSD, 4 6TB WD Red drives and a Startech SATA PCI-E controller card. we both have our HDDs set up as mirror mode storage spaces.

He's having buffering issues when streaming from the server to a Kodi box, whereas I don't. We then tried comparing file transfer speeds. When I copy from the storage space to the server's desktop (and hence, the SSD) I get a solid 150MB/s while transferring a large video file. When he does it he briefly gets this speed and then the speed fluctuates continuously between about 70MB/s and 0. Any ideas what might be causeing this? The SSD was previously plugged in to the motherboard, meaning one of the HDDs was connected to the SATA card, so I suggested putting the SSD on the SATA card so all the hard disks were instead connected to the motherboard on the same controller, but this hasn't helped. All I'm left with is wondering if it's a dud hard disk in the space. Seems unlikely given they're all brand new but I guess it's possible. Anyway I'm going up there at the weekend to try and fix it, so if anyone has any suggestions for me to try it'd be much appreciated!

P.S. - The storage space is already above 70% capacity, that wouldn't be causing the slow down would it? I wouldn't have thought so as it's practically unusable as it is currently.

Thanks, Tom

P.S - Cross posted in the Windows 10 sub-forum, hope that's OK!

Drashna Jaelre

Is your hardware setup exactly the same? 

If not, then what EXACTLY is different. 

Also, you mention that you're using a StarTech controller card.  Are you both using this? If so, are you both using the same model? 

Boopop

Hey, thanks for the reply. Hardware isn't exactly the same. Differences are:

• He has 2 additional 6 TB WD Red NAS drives ( I have 2, he has 4)
  • He has the StarTech controller card, I don't need one.
  • We have different SSDs...his is probably a Samsung 850 SSD I'm guessing, I'll know exactly what he has by Friday.
  • The 1TB drive it came with is still in my system, along with a FreesatHD TV card. Can't imagine these are a factor, but still.

Drashna Jaelre

The drives are connected to the StarTech controller, right? 

Exactly WHICH model is he using? 

Also, try HD Sentinel on his system.  That *should* be able to check the SMART data of the underlying disks. Make sure that they're healthy.

Boopop

Originally the SSD was connected to the motherboard, along with 3 drives, and another drive was connected to the controller card. Now it's all 4 drives on the motherboard and the SSD on the card. This is the card:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003GS8VA4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll give HD Sentinel a shot once I'm there on Friday.

Edited by Boopop

itGeeks

There is a saying that friends don't let friends use 'Storage Spaces' I have not looked at 'Storage Spaces in a long while but a quick search shows it still may not be ready for prime time. Could you run a program called ATTO to see what the reads/writes are? https://www.attotech...disk-benchmark/

Also take a look at this for a possible solution http://www.tecfused....w-write-speeds/

Honestly I prefer to use a inexpensive hardware RAID controller from HighPoint http://www.highpoint...SA_new/main.htm

If you insist to use a software solution then please take a look at StableBit DrivePool, Its much better then 'Storage Spaces' from what I hear and forum members that are using it seem to love it. https://stablebit.co...vePool/Features

O and Drashna that is also helping you here also provides support for StableBit ao I don't think he minds me recommending it  :) 

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

See, I'm more concerned with helping fix things, than pushing software. :) 

But then again, that's what got me the job working for Covecube (StableBit) :)

But I do agree with itGeeks on all accounts here. Storage Spaces does have performance issues.  Though, I will always recommend an LSI based card over HighPoint.  

Which reminds me.... is the Storage Spaces pool mostly full?  If so, that *may* be why, as I vaguely remember that a full pool can cause issues (up to and INCLUDING the disks being dropped). 

itGeeks

See, I'm more concerned with helping fix things, than pushing software. :) 

But then again, that's what got me the job working for Covecube (StableBit) :)

But I do agree with itGeeks on all accounts here. Storage Spaces does have performance issues.  Though, I will always recommend an LSI based card over HighPoint.  

Which reminds me.... is the Storage Spaces pool mostly full?  If so, that *may* be why, as I vaguely remember that a full pool can cause issues (up to and INCLUDING the disks being dropped). 

Whats wrong with HighPoint cards? Used them for years and never had any trouble with them.

Drashna Jaelre

Whats wrong with HighPoint cards? Used them for years and never had any trouble with them.

They're a heavily modified Marvell chipset, requiring proprietary commands to get grab SMART data and the like. 

I've also had stability and compatibility issues with them (with the Norco case I used to have). 

Also,why they may report to be SAS, I've never tried them with a SAS expander, and I've heard indications that they may not work properly with SAS expanders (except the HighPoint ones). 

Additionally, RAID performance (especially RAID5) is pretty sub-par, from what I understand. 

And considering that you can get LSI based cards for similar prices, I'd rather buy LSI.

ShadowPeo

I agree LSI over Highpoint any day, learned that lesson years ago (when it was still 3Ware and what was LSI before they rebranded?) There were a couple of cool brands around back in the day (64 Bit PCI anyone?) that had no cache but did have offboarding XOR engines on them that were a good stopgap between the "cheap" raid and the higher end 3Ware and what is now LSI.

Having said that if you want to use storage spaces I would recommend an HBA over and RAID card as they are "dumb" cards that just pass the command through.

As for storage spaces speed I cannot comment too much as although I help a junior maintain a Storage Spaces server or two neither of us set them up (it was before his time, and the other tech made the decision and environment design at the time, I am still more ambivalent about the whole idea of software RIAD and would rather stick to my LSI/PERC cards). We have seen no performance issues really on them, but these are on Dell R520 servers with PERC (rebadged LSI last I checked) in them utilising SAS and N/L SAS disks