RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Firewall.

itGeeks

I have a 2011 box and a QNAP TS-451+ running full-time. I'm so ignorant, but oblige me. Would it be reasonable to run Untangle on a VM either on bare-metal(?) or on top of another OS?

Reasonable yes, I have had both Sophos and Untangle setup in a VM in Windows 10 and it ran fine but I am now taking the stance that it would be better and safer to run it on dedicated hardware, Y? Because to many things can go wrong with Windows and if Windows crashes your entire network including internet is down and that risk just does not sit well with me anymore.

Edited by itGeeks

Reasonable yes, I have had both Sophos and Untangle setup in a VM in Windows 10 and it ran fine but I am now taking the stance that it would be better and safer to run it on dedicated hardware, Y? Because to many things can go wrong with Windows and if Windows crashes your entire network including internet is down and that risk just does not sit well with me anymore.

I questioned that myself.  It is quite a bit of bandwidth going through a hypervisor.  I would be concerned with it slowing down the network traffic.  I think a dedicated box doing that would be better.  If it was the only high bandwidth vm.  I could see it working but it is still sharing resources with other vm's and the hypervisor.

Edited by dalem

I questioned that myself.  It is quite a bit of bandwidth going through a hypervisor.  I would be concerned with it slowing down the network traffic.  I think a dedicated box doing that would be better.  If it was the only high bandwidth vm.  I could see it working but it is still sharing resources with other vm's and the hypervisor.

I only had one VM and it ran fine but like you said don't know how it would of ran with more VM's running. I am very new to VM's maybe others could answer either way the sound of running a router/UTM on dedicated hardware feels rite.

Still wish there would be a talk on Untangle, pfSense and Sophos at Meetup with demo.

It is talked about so much it would well received or maybe it's just me.

Take a hard look at Untangle, Its going to be easier to setup and manage then pfSence in my humble opinion. They now offer a home license for 5.00 a month or 50.00 a year for all you can eat, This is a bargen price to pay for this type of protection. They have a 14 day trial, Download it and take it for a spine. There is also a live demo site where you can have a look. Untangle is very much catering to the home market now as you can tell from the low pricing unlike Sophos/pfSense and support is only a phone call away. Untangle has been doing some really great work with v12 and v12.1, I can't wait to get mine setup again.

Live Demo http://demo.untangle.com/auth/login?url=/setup/welcome.do&realm=Administrator

Untangle at Home https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/untangle-at-home/

What do you think of these embedded devices?  Untangle and Pfsense both offer them.  For the the price it is almost equal to building a pc or buying one of these?